Take a look at how people age around the world with this AARP special report: A New Age.

Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: You Know You Are A Baby Boomer Because...

Message 1 of 138
You had a poster of Earth Wind and Fire on the wall as well.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 138

You know you are a baby boomer when you are always buying new music on I Tunes, but all of it is old school songs. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 138

Totally yes. 

Then add - landing on the moon ("a giant step for mankind"); we paid attention to"ask not what your country can do for you.."; Brown v. Board of Education - These were hard challenges and we accepted them.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 138

Everything everone else has mentioned plus:

People wrote letters and sent thank you notes.

Elvis caused a scandal when he appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show.

Sputnik.

Howdy Doody.

Winky Dink.

A&W sold root beer and hot dogs and right next door, Dairy Queen sold Coke and hamburgers. All were take-out. You walked up and ordered through a window. 

Vanilla Pepsi and Cherry Coke at the fountain in the "drug store". 

Superman on TV.

"Yes ma'm", "No sir", and you meant it.

Neighborhood stores. The big deal was when the "Shopping Center" came with automatic doors that opened and closed on their own!

Girls who got pregnant just disappeared for awhile.

It takes a village. Our neighborhood was our village. If I did something wrong my parents knew about it by the time I got home!

There weren't a lot of unhappy kids. We had lots of friends and girls didn't even think about showing cleavage.

Children were accepted for who they were. There wasn't much bullying. Bullies were taken care of the old-fashioned way. 

A teacher tapping a student on the shoulder was a wake up call, not a sexual assault.

Most moms stayed home, but even those who worked were usually home when the kids got home. 

Schools had P.E. and music and art and both boys and girls did Home Ec. and shop in H.S.  

Sad thing: Friends got polio and measles and mumps. Some died. 

Kids wore hand-me-downs and didn't care. 

American Made meant something. 

All the neighbors came to listen when my dad got a "stereo" system. I still remember the train coming and going it sounded so REAL.

PEZ 

Penny ball gum from the machine.

Home-made icecream.

Going fishing on the weekends.

Playing in the creek.

Riding bikes four hours, and miles, but getting home before the streetlights came on...most of the time.

Playing baseball and tetherball during recess.

I don't remember a "snow day" although we probably had them. 

Only one kid in my elementary school had asthma and everone ate peanut butter. Lunches were brought from home until H.S., then we had a cafeteria. 

My first computer was the blue IBM with an amazing 64K motherboard. 

Coding was for spies, not computer programs. 

Life was less hectic and people talked with their voices, not their fingers. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 138

Television set with vacuum tubes, antennas, rotors and only 3 channels

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 138

When kids would respond to you in a manner of yes ma''am, and no ma'am, instead of "WHAT"..

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 138

Remembering: neighbors with underground bomb shelters, hiding under desks in elementary school as practice drill for bomb attack, the transistor radio, not having a phone in our house (went to grandparents next door if we had a call; party-line phone service only), radios with all the tubes, TVs with 12-inch or smaller screen, watching I Love Lucy, Lassie, Sky King, Annie Oakley,  The Lone Ranger (I actually met Clayton Moore in York, PA on one of his publicity tours; got a signed photo of him and his horse Silver), Howdy Doody, walking about 1 mile to the school bus stop, having home delivery of milk, eggs and bread, having our doctor make house calls (even in the middle of the night), etc.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 138

You are seriously a “Boomer” when you realize that you have a great memory, it’s just short.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 138

You want to kick your grandkids in the rear became they ignore you with their phones!

The only exception to this rule is with Taylor due to being tender!!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 138

I was a hippie and served in Nam on a boat. I listened to thew best music ever and had the best time ever. When we were really free and do what we wanted. Those were the days. Then I got married had kids and grands and now great grands. Got responsible and changed my ways. Funny how we all become what we said we wouldn't. Thats life though and to be straight in a world upside down now is just crazy. To bad AARP is still living in the 70s where I'm ok you'er ok was the thing. Well I am not ok and you aren't either AARP> You need to get back to the real world and start using your clout to do the right thing and not all this teenage BS you are going back to. 

Kudos
Views