Learn how to spot and avoid common scams with AARP's Fraud Resource Center. Try it today!

Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: 'you crack me up', ice box, 'the cats meow',

Message 81 of 160

@ASTRAEA

I guess "icebox cake" may never go out of style, mainly because I can't imagine anyone wanting to call it a "refrigerator cake".

I can still remember the day we gave up our icebox for a refrigerator. It was about 1951 and I was 12 years old and it was a used one as my uncle was moving and there was a newer one where he was going, but what a change it was. I missed seeing the iceman but not having to empty the pan underneath it.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Words that are no longer used today...

Message 82 of 160

Stomps foot, crosses arms, yells NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I refuse to let go of antiquated words. I will not do it. Waaaaaaaaa.

I'll sell the 40 year old dinnerware; I'll (eventually) dispurse my 50-100 (EDIT: that's years old, rather than volume of) book collection. I'll even sell that antique Chinese chair picked up for a song at a garage sale decades ago ... but you cannot have my antiquated vocabulary. That goes with me to my grave.

Smiley Happy Thanks, I'm better now.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Re: 'you crack me up', ice box, 'the cats meow',

Message 83 of 160

@AARPTeri - It's interesting when a word or expression still exist, although the underlying components don't. Good example of that is an "icebox cake" .. when no one uses "iceboxes" anymore.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

'you crack me up', ice box, 'the cats meow',

Message 84 of 160

@AARPTeri wrote:

There are a lot of words that you rarely hear any more.  My mom used the word dungarees - and her grandchildren asked what is that.  It made me realize there are a lot of words we don't use any more.

Here are a few....  add your's to the list.

kibosh

padiddle

pinning for someone

horsefeathers...

apples n oranges
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 85 of 160
@SassiLady wrote:
BlueSky90, from what I am hearing they are starting to do away with teaching children cursive/script. I have been wondering how they will learn to write their signature. Maybe we will go backwards and start using an "X" again.

They may not have to use an "X" either; any system where they might have to sign, will eventually allow for a scanned thumb print instead!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 86 of 160

This morning I am sitting here laughing at myself. I just reread your post referring to 'britches' and realized I misread it at the time I replied to you. I hope you at least got a smile out of it.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 87 of 160

BlueSky90, from what I am hearing they are starting to do away with teaching children cursive/script. I have been wondering how they will learn to write their signature. Maybe we will go backwards and start using an "X" again.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 88 of 160

Few say "icebox."  They're not "curtains," they're "drapes."  It used to be "couch/divan" but now is a "sofa" or "theater seating."  "Tennis shoes" are "kicks."  "Typewriters" are now "keyboards."  A "mimeograph" is a "printer."  Nobody is "crazy" anymore but, instead, they're "disturbed."  We learned "cursive" but it's now "script" - if it's taught at all!  A "thingamabob" is now a "thingy."  The "wireless" used to refer to a "radio," not your computer hookup.  A "picture show" is now the "theater" or "cinema." 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 89 of 160

ga5603 said

Nikki A

Britches ( which my husband still uses) smart as a whip.doctored up,

I never heard that the word britches meant smart as a whip. I am laughing because when my grandpa got excited or maybe a little peeved about something my grandmother would say "keep your britches on pa". The word britches referred to his pants.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 90 of 160

I have heard of all the words and phrases mentioned here but since I have passed 3/4 of a century and my mom passed away in 2013 at the age of 94 I imagine that has a lot to do with it. 

A couple not mentioned here that I have used frequently are;

Waste not Want not...

Pay back's a b..ch

(the second one I don't remember ever hearing my mom use but I have used it and I don't know when it came into existence or where I picked it up).

Registered online here since 2009.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera