Staying Sharp empowers you to take control of your brain health as you age. Try it today!

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Words that are no longer used today...

Message 1 of 160

My mother, would often say to us " I am going to clip your wings".  HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 160

@l483260lHa,ha, my mom used to say those expressions also and we are from MA. The only difference was she said "get" rather than "git".

This morning something popped into my head that I haven't heard in years. It mostly referred to someone that shunned doing dirty tasks around the house. In New England we would say "she doesn't want to get her lily white hands dirty". 

I don't know for sure but I don't think we had rubber gloves for household use until the 1960's.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 160

My mom had a good ole' East Texas way of speaking. Something could "git her goat" . Too much  adult beverage & she was "pixilated" or "3 sheets to the wind"( no doubt a  sailor's term from my dad's navy experience).  Words I love we're losing:

"methinks", "you're welcome "- too often when I apologize or say   'thank you" to  a   stranger( especially a younger  one)  over the phone, instead of you're welcome", I hear" no problem". My mom taught us by example that good manners  should never go out of style. 

SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 160

@cn5621 wrote:

@MaVolta wrote:

Does anyone remember the last time that you "dialed" a number on the phone? 

My mom had a dial phone in her house until the day that she moved out. That was mid-2000's. The phones were installed when we moved there in the 50's. The last dial phone that I had was around 1970. After that, it went to push-button.

When I was a kid, we had a dial  phone and a party line, anyone remember party lines ? Another term I don't expect to be around very much longer is landline. 

These are good ones. Wonder how many remember party lines 😀

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 160

@ASTRAEA wrote:
@SassiLady wrote:
BlueSky90, from what I am hearing they are starting to do away with teaching children cursive/script. I have been wondering how they will learn to write their signature. Maybe we will go backwards and start using an "X" again.

They may not have to use an "X" either; any system where they might have to sign, will eventually allow for a scanned thumb print instead!

If you think that is bad, when it comes to math hand a kid a pencil and paper and see what happens.  Without batteries they are lost. I don't have a problem with calculators or computers but  a child needs to be able to write, read and do math the old fashion way first then move on to a calculator or computer. 

Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 160

My mother when I was growing up use to say, "Young man you are getting a little too big for your britches!" I don't think she was refering my size.

Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 160

@c251922d wrote:

If you went very fast in your car, you might be "going like 60's" or even "like a bat out of hell!". Sooner or later, you'd have to stop at the filling station .....

My Dad had a Buick with a 455 cubic inch engine, was fast, he said it would pass everything but a gas station.

Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 160

@MaVolta wrote:

Does anyone remember the last time that you "dialed" a number on the phone? 

My mom had a dial phone in her house until the day that she moved out. That was mid-2000's. The phones were installed when we moved there in the 50's. The last dial phone that I had was around 1970. After that, it went to push-button.

When I was a kid, we had a dial  phone and a party line, anyone remember party lines ? Another term I don't expect to be around very much longer is landline. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 160

" Hippies" "Free Love" and "Flower power"... all used to describe those who rebelled against the established behaviors of society in the 60's & 70's . Along with "granny dresses and Woodstock".

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 160

@SassiLady wrote:

@Epster

Yes, you are correct as to the use of root cellars. My Great grandparents had one and my GGmother made her own mincemeat and pickles and my mom always told me how you could go to the root cellar and get those veggies like squash, carrots, etc. She also told me about the big crock of mincemeat where you would lift the top piece of mold and get the mincemeat out. I guess that was what helped to keep the mincemeat fresh. I had a 2nd cousin by marriage when I lived in NY State that also had one in her house and it definitely got a lot of use.

@SassiLady  I miss having one. My neighbor's circa 1970 root cellar is infested with snakes and the roof is rotten. We thought about fixing it up and leasing it from her when I was farming for profit. Great place to store fruit and veggies. I also sold value added goods, (apple butter, the like) so it would have been a stock room ... alas it is up the hill and across a field from my kitchen, so not exactly convenient. Well, and the snakes, that put a damper on the whole thing. She said they are rattlers, though I've never seen rattlers on this property. Still ... uh, nope. :0)

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors