Check out the 10th anniversary edition of ’99 Great Ways to Save,’ AARP’s annual guide to saving money.

Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Words that are no longer used today...

Message 11 of 160

@Epster

Yes, you are correct as to the use of root cellars. My Great grandparents had one and my GGmother made her own mincemeat and pickles and my mom always told me how you could go to the root cellar and get those veggies like squash, carrots, etc. She also told me about the big crock of mincemeat where you would lift the top piece of mold and get the mincemeat out. I guess that was what helped to keep the mincemeat fresh. I had a 2nd cousin by marriage when I lived in NY State that also had one in her house and it definitely got a lot of use.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 160

@n566192l wrote:

Does anyone remember having a Root Cellar? I'm not sure if these are still in use today? Or where the name came from. Growing up my grandmother, would diapper, when she said she was going to the Root Cellar.

@n566192l  I've had them at previous homes. Our neighbor has one now, though I don't. (Wish I did, though, and have thought about building one)

Root Cellar, I think refers to the fact that these are cool storage rooms in which you can keep root crops (and other items) fresh for months and months. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 160

Does anyone remember having a Root Cellar? I'm not sure if these are still in use today? Or where the name came from. Growing up my grandmother, would diapper, when she said she was going to the Root Cellar.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 160

Does anyone remember the last time that you "dialed" a number on the phone? 

My mom had a dial phone in her house until the day that she moved out. That was mid-2000's. The phones were installed when we moved there in the 50's. The last dial phone that I had was around 1970. After that, it went to push-button.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 160

REMEMBER the 80's ? The vcr brought us the phrase "Time Shifting"

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 160

I guess the 'Hoover' vacuum cleaner was the first one my mother bought because she always used to tell us to 'hoover the carpets'....something to do ...not the name of the brand!!!

apples n oranges
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 160

UP THE FLAG POLE . I am not sure if these is the whole phrase. Just thought this phrase would work this weekend. HOPE everyone ejoys themselves, and stays SAVE!!!. I am trying to help find housing for several veterans.  Boy, their stories have inspired me to work harder. PLEASE If you see a veteran over the WEEKEND, THANK THEM FOR EVERYTHING THEY HAVE DONE FOR OUR" GREAT COUNTRY".

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 160

@n566192l

Here is a link I found when I was annoyed that the name "clam diggers" was hard to find in relation to this type of women's pants. I think the reason may be that they were only called that in certain areas and only for one season. I don't think it stuck as well as Pedal Pushers and Capris.

Pedal pushers - Wikipedia

Pedal pushers are calf-length trousers that were popular during the 1950s and the early 1960s. Often cuffed and worn tight to the skin, they are related in style to capri pants, and are sometimes referred to as "clam diggers".

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 160

Thanks, I really thought my mother made the name "clam diggers" up. Thanks for reminding me about Peddle Pushers.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 160

@c251922d

I was born and raised in MA, and in the late '40's and early '50's we rolled our dungarees up to below our knees and then they came out with Pedal Pushers as they were first called. They have since been called many names over the years.

Oh, and I also dug for clams at the beach.

Kudos
Views