Looking for work? The U.S. Census Bureau is hiring more than 500,000 people nationwide. Learn more.

Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Wisdom of our Elders

Message 1 of 42
There is this thing called THE GOLDEN RULE. . . Hmmmmm?
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 42

@oldegranddad wrote:

Why do I have to be the first one to kudo this post? It is a great story and a great lesson. You and Your bride are to be commended for letting her find her way. She is a great success. I'm sure you would have been a great help to her if she would have gotten lost along the way. Obviously, she never did lose her way. This is great reading. Thank you.

@oldegranddad Smiley Happy Does "Because I was off racing a 20K" work? I was. Well, OK, not technically racing. I was training on the route of an upcoming race. 

Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 42

Why do I have to be the first one to kudo this post? It is a great story and a great lesson. You and Your bride are to be commended for letting her find her way. She is a great success. I'm sure you would have been a great help to her if she would have gotten lost along the way. Obviously, she never did lose her way. This is great reading. Thank you.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 42

I came back to this site to see what is being said on various topics, and happened to stop here - to give a little more personal input.

We were watching the old movie "Night and Day" the other day.  You know, the one with Cary Grant and the beautiful Alexis Smith?  In that movie, Cary Grant, as Cole Porter, disappointed his Grandfather in not following in his footsteps in becoming a lawyer and taking over his law firm.

So many parents want so badly for their sons and/or daughters to "follow in their footsteps".

My lovely bride, (of almost 45 years now), are so happy that our daughter has done just that.

In THIS respect:

She has had a number of job descriptions, giving her the abundance and variety of life and work experiences which has made her the wonderful person she is today.

She has always and confidently put forth the effort to do the best job she could in whichever function she was involved with.

She has always been a valuable employee wherever and for whomever she has worked.

She has enjoyed each and every position she has accepted.

She has continued to excel in her various vocations AND avocations.

She loves and honors her parents for their love for her, for their guidance, and for letting her be and do what she wanted to be and do.  (We know these things to be true because we have wonderful talks which only prove it).

For us, her parents, these are the things which we consider qualify the statement: "following in our footsteps".

Can two proud parents ask any more of their child?

We think not - and do not.

Life is good.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 42
I agree whole-heartedly DougIvy... They are here ... and I know it too ! How blessed are we!
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 42

Treat others the way you would like to be treated!

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 42

I'm not sure that any one of my elders said any one thing that I can remember as being a saying that made me who I am today.

I am sure that my Mother and Father taught me how to be the best person I could be, and am today, by their living example as I grew up with them.

They may not ne around to talk to anymore in a literal sense . . . but, they are here . . . and I know it.

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 42

My mother alwasy told me, make sure that the man you marry is your best friend.  Marriage is not just sex, it is working together as a team, it is trusting each other, it is willing to discuss when there is a disagreement.  Make sure you and your intended agree on things like children, religion and ohter important issues.  If your friends do not like your intended: listen to them, discuss what they don't like about him.  Do the two of you enjoy the same life style: city living vs. country liviing, do you both enjoy a livky social life or are you happy woith small gatherings of friends?  I listened to my mom's advice and declined my first two marriage proposals until I met the man of my dreams.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 42

@b12112s wrote:

GEC logo with Transparency2.png

"If elders are lost, adults will be lost; and if adults are lost, youth will be lost"

The Big Question from the beginning of time. What is truth? To be or not to be? To have kids or not to have kids? Aren't we all, always a little lost? Aren't we all, always looking for a little something? As long as it's not life-threatening, that's called avoiding boredom. It's only a problem when it's debilitating.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 42

GEC logo with Transparency2.png

"If elders are lost, adults will be lost; and if adults are lost, youth will be lost"

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors