AARP and the photographers of Magnum Photos look at older people living in new ways around the world in A New Age.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Who will take care of me when I am old?

Message 31 of 31

One thing that is glaringly obvious to me is that the many stories about seniors and their issues of care and need in their later years, never start at the true beginning,...

which is the time when a person reaches a certain age and realizes that at some point in the future they might not be able to handle their needs on their own.  

At that time, every individual "should" realize that they need to make some plans, have some talks with family, etc to discuss the future.  There is no question that we will all age and there is no doubt that our situations will change.  We each need to take the responsibility for making plans for that coming time.  How many do?   and why not, if they don't?

Also, the same question could be asked of the kids and extended family.  You see your elder relative, mom, dad, sister getting older.  You know that at some time in the future the family may have to take some action.  Does anyone inquire as to where documents are, who the doctor is, what mom thinks she wants to do?

Seems like everyone talks about little Billie and how he is doing in school and the next family vacation but who talks about the latter years of mom and dad?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies