Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Who will take care of me when I am old?

Message 1 of 31
Since after two years I've been blessed with a kudo, as well as nearly 1300 likes, figured an update wouldn't hurt. Getting near 78 now.
The mind is still chugging along. Here on the couch covered with a black cat and a white dog--my "furever friends". Missed a step going outside late last year. Have always been a klutz.
Broke my left arm. My son balked at chopping onions and filleting his own chicken---or cooking, even under direction. I'm not Italian, but I'm afraid that's how he's been raised. His wife will not thank me. Amazing how much one needs two working hands. He filled the freezer with TV dinners for a few months. I liked the lower calorie ones. Lost nearly twenty pounds. Always a good thing. Doctors didn't think so. Had to get various blood tests, and some new clothes! If I still had my wedding dress it would probably fit.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 31

@kimzeesmom wrote:

I've had this conversation with my kids. I am 75, already old, still possessed of my mind and can get around on my own. I know how fortunate I am. My doctor thinks I may make it to 100, and healthy. Currently, my unmarried son and I live together. He and my married daughter have diametrically opposing views on my future care if I can't "do for myself". He would keep me alive as long as possible, no matter what. He loves me. My daughter is in favor of pulling the proverbial plug. Actually, if it came to having to depend on her for my care, I would rather die. Sad thing to admit. However, since I really don't want to be kept breathing when there is no hope, I have a living will. On the rare occasions when I've been in a hospital--twice in ten years, in two different ones, they have copies. Both of my children know this. So I guess it's my son and me for the duration, since the right girl is still out there somewhere. He's already gotten me through Guillain-Barre Syndrome, picked me up when I've fallen, supported me to doctors and therapy without complaint, when I couldn't walk well. All he wants in return is yogurt, bananas, and the eternal breaded chicken cutlets. So I make it different ways for me so I don't expire of terminal boredom before my time.

I agree, your post is great.  Thanks for sharing! And congratulations on getting your paoerwork done and in place!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 31

@Prosecco6247 wrote:

@kimzeesmom, I truly enjoyed reading this refreshingly honest post!  You have a great sense of humor and it sounds as if your wishes have already been granted!  You've thoughtfully made good arrangements for "end of life" care and I hope they've been distributed to your doctors and other interested/involved parties.

Your son sounds like a real gem!   May you both enjoy continued health and happiness!

Well said!!

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 31

Thank you so much for the kind words. I've gotten kudos, but never a reply. My brother is blessed with a quirky sense of humor. He advocated telling my son to park me on the balcony in the sun and hose me off once in a while, thus keeping me out of a nursing home. 

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 31

@kimzeesmom, I truly enjoyed reading this refreshingly honest post!  You have a great sense of humor and it sounds as if your wishes have already been granted!  You've thoughtfully made good arrangements for "end of life" care and I hope they've been distributed to your doctors and other interested/involved parties.

Your son sounds like a real gem!   May you both enjoy continued health and happiness!

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 31

I've had this conversation with my kids. I am 75, already old, still possessed of my mind and can get around on my own. I know how fortunate I am. My doctor thinks I may make it to 100, and healthy. Currently, my unmarried son and I live together. He and my married daughter have diametrically opposing views on my future care if I can't "do for myself". He would keep me alive as long as possible, no matter what. He loves me. My daughter is in favor of pulling the proverbial plug. Actually, if it came to having to depend on her for my care, I would rather die. Sad thing to admit. However, since I really don't want to be kept breathing when there is no hope, I have a living will. On the rare occasions when I've been in a hospital--twice in ten years, in two different ones, they have copies. Both of my children know this. So I guess it's my son and me for the duration, since the right girl is still out there somewhere. He's already gotten me through Guillain-Barre Syndrome, picked me up when I've fallen, supported me to doctors and therapy without complaint, when I couldn't walk well. All he wants in return is yogurt, bananas, and the eternal breaded chicken cutlets. So I make it different ways for me so I don't expire of terminal boredom before my time.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 31
Only if I'm unable to drive. I'll be dead before then. But, should I ever become comatose or otherwise incapacitated to the point I can't move my arms & legs, I have a contingency plan to rectify that.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 31

@catwoman500 wrote:

@nyadrn wrote:

I wonder how long it will take for the driverless cars to be ready : )

@nyadrn...Just heard on the news yesterday that one crashed! Cat LOL Of course at this stage, there were drivers in the car at the time. What does that say? N.

Just one?   Then I would say their record is better than cars with drivers. LOL

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 31

@ASTRAEA...

@ASTRAEA wrote:

you have to be mentally competent at the time you want to do it! Duh; if you're still mentally competent, you probably aren't ready to go yet.

Absolutely! If I'm still aware of what's going on, I need to make my own decisions. Party on! Cat Happy

I have an older friend who is 90. Her goal is to live to 100. Great outlook! She is still as sharp as a tack, and is one of the better drivers I know! She'll be ready to go when she is ready to go.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 31

@catwoman500 - Smiley Happy That's the catch-22 of most of the "death with dignity" laws too. To make sure a family member doesn't "pull the plug" ahead of time to get someone's money, it doesn't matter if you have written & witnessed documents specifically saying when you want to check out .. you have to be mentally competent at the time you want to do it! Duh; if you're still mentally competent, you probably aren't ready to go yet.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views