WATCH VIDEO: Friday's Iowa presidential candidate forum. Appearing are Beto O'Rourke, Elizabeth Warren, Marianne Williamson and Andrew Yang.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Which are you, elegant classic or new and trendy?

Message 1 of 51

Mary Tyler Moore was one of my favorite tv personalities. I loved the Laura Petrie look of slacks and sweaters. Her characters were nicely dressed and had a classic, polished look. Her off camera style was equally attractive and polished. 

I really don't see any style setters in Hollywood anymore. They just wear whatever. The glamour appeal of Hollywood isn't what it used to be.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 51

@Prosecco6247 wrote:

@catwoman, I thought your mention of fashion was consistent with the topic of the OP.  Certainly we admired those role models for more than their clothes but, on TV, appearance is everything. 

Why on earth would TV & movie producers have wardrobe mistresses/masters if they didn't wish to portray a certain character in a specific way?  Successful, smart, elegant, classy, respected in their fields...it was a total package...the exact image the producers wanted to project.  They knew the audience they were playing to and, yes, they also knew the character was a role model for women & girls.  They dressed their characters the way modern successful women dressed and we all knew they had access to the newest styles & trends.  That was where we garnered inspiration for ourselves, budding success that we were!  LOL!  Woman LOL

Well I remember wanting some of the styles from the past very much but not much anymore.  Fashion has finally reached the outer limits.  Cannot wear much higher heels or much less.   Everyone in Hollywood wants to be on the forefront but I am not sure where that is anymore.  There is hardly anyone I want to look like anymore    Guess I will have to stick to my own style and taste. LOL. I will definitely save some money!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 51

@nyadrn wrote:

I remember watching the actors and actresses and what they wore and using that for a barometer on style..  that does not really happen anymore except maybe for the young.  

Make that "the VERY young!"  There aren't too many role models on TV any more...it seems that most of them are "reality stars" or "celebrities" in the mode of the Kardashians. 

I usually bring my own reading material to the hairdresser, but when I'm forced to find something to read, I see that most of the magazines there are the variety that caters to "fans" and are mostly populated with pics of very young men & women who are dressed in very expensive clothes...but are mostly lacking in style.  Skin is in...where could normal people wear such clothing?  The days of debutante balls and formal events for the mainstream seem to be a quaint memory.  Dressing up for prom was a milestone in a high-schooler's life and the chance to wear a long formal gown or a tux was a "rite of passage."  The short frocks with decolletage down to here! seem to be the most desired article...no matter what the physical attributes of the wearer.

Ah well, fashions come and go and those of us who are reminiscing here have fortunately "aged out" of the 5 inch heels Mrs. T wears and the skimpy, uncomfortable clothing of the young girls.  Jeans are ubiquitous on the younger set, but they all look to be faded & tattered beyond all recognition!  We would have loved to wear tastefully & authentically faded jeans but holes & tatters over intimate anatomical areas...no thanks!  I wonder if they will show their scrapbooks to their grandchildren or someone they wish to impress?  One never knows!

@catwoman, I thought your mention of fashion was consistent with the topic of the OP.  Certainly we admired those role models for more than their clothes but, on TV, appearance is everything. 

Why on earth would TV & movie producers have wardrobe mistresses/masters if they didn't wish to portray a certain character in a specific way?  Successful, smart, elegant, classy, respected in their fields...it was a total package...the exact image the producers wanted to project.  They knew the audience they were playing to and, yes, they also knew the character was a role model for women & girls.  They dressed their characters the way modern successful women dressed and we all knew they had access to the newest styles & trends.  That was where we garnered inspiration for ourselves, budding success that we were!  LOL!  Woman LOL

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 51

@catwoman500 wrote:

UGH! What a question!

When I was teaching I was excited about planning what to wear each day. Since I have been retired for 12 years, I have gravitated to jeans and a top for everyday wear and actually groan when I have to go out to breakfast, lunch, dinner, or an event.

I hate deciding what to wear. I have found over the years that I don't really need any more new clothes, but feel like if it is something special, I need to wear something better than what I have.

Dresses and skirts are so not me anymore. It's kind of weird how things have changed. I still held on to some really classic styles and also some items that should have been tossed ages ago. I guess I'd call myself a classic mess! Cat LOL N.

@catwoman500...A classic mess!  That made me LOL but it pretty much describes me as well!  Yikes!  Jeans and a top...usually 3/4 sleeves because I don't want sun exposure any more.  Too aging!  I do wear jewelry & fragrance every day, though.  It's my one nod to my formerly feminine choice in clothing & accessories.  I am loving my mostly jeans lifestyle now!  Woman Very Happy

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 51

@DougIvy wrote:

I have worn the "appropriate" uniform(s) when in defense of my country.

I have worn the "appropriate" clothing when at the various professional positions which I have held in my working career.

I have been "appropriately" considered 'in-tune' with styles and trends of modes of dress in my semi-long life of wearing clothes.

I have, this year decided to dress just as I wish - therefore, the enclosed picture.

So . . . am I elegant classic or new and trendy . . . or just meP3230024.JPG?

Well definitely stylish.  I would go with trendy.   

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 51

I have worn the "appropriate" uniform(s) when in defense of my country.

I have worn the "appropriate" clothing when at the various professional positions which I have held in my working career.

I have been "appropriately" considered 'in-tune' with styles and trends of modes of dress in my semi-long life of wearing clothes.

I have, this year decided to dress just as I wish - therefore, the enclosed picture.

So . . . am I elegant classic or new and trendy . . . or just meP3230024.JPG?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 51

*harkens

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 51

@ah9539 wrote:

My personal style is bohemian. That has been "in" for many years now, but it also hardens back to my hippy days. I love embroidery, lace, jeans, individual style. 

You sound like my sister : )

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 51

My personal style is bohemian. That has been "in" for many years now, but it also hardens back to my hippy days. I love embroidery, lace, jeans, individual style. 

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 51

I'm neither elegant classic nor new and trendy.  I'm clean, neat, comfortable, and appropriate for the occasion.  I haven't bought new clothes since I retired many years ago (well, other than running shoes and underwear!).  I make do with what I have.  I don't care for the new styles - strange looking dresses and blouses, torn jeans - I like the classic look.  I don't feel like my older clothes look out of place and I never notice anyone staring at me, so I guess what I wear is appropriate.

Kudos
Views