Take the AARP Smart Driver course and you could save on auto insurance! Sign up today.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Where were you during the moon landing?

Message 31 of 58

I was 14 years old and my family and I were visiting my sister and her family. I was outside playing with my two nieces when my brother-in-law came out and told us to come watch it on tv as it was history being made. I remember it like it was yesterday and am so glad he had us watch it. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 58

I was 19 and working for a company in Norwalk, CT. We were having a company picnic and the TV was hooked up so we could watch. Why was this a special event?? We at Perkin-Elmer Corp. had the privledge of coating the 3 astronauts' helmets that brillant gold tint; a co-worker and I secretly viewed them in person where they were displayed in a row on a shelf behind closed doors. Not only do I remember that day but it was my 19th birthday on the 16th when they lifted off to the moon.

D.R. now living in South Carolina

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 58

I was in Oklahoma watching the landing. Till late that night. I had been drafted into the army and had to drive back to Dallas in the middle of the night to report the next day. So there were some good reminders and bad ones that day .

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 58

I was home in Rhode Island and watched the moon landing on TV with my dad.  My sister and mother didn't want to stay up that late to watch it!  Really!  We couldn't figure out what was wrong with them because it was such an epic event.  I recorded Neil Armstrong's words "That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind".  I'm now 70 and still have that recording.  It was a great moment in my life!  Glad to have been able to share it with my dad.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 58

I was an archery instructor at the age of 16 at a Boy Scout camp. The whole camp stopped to watch on a small black and white tv. It was awesome. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 58

I was at best friends home. Age 9. Watching there color tv. So we’re my parents. They were celebrating early with home made wine. We woke my mother up when the Apollo landed and she replied “ Where have they been. I have been waiting. “ She thought she had been there first. We all had a good laugh.  😆 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 58

I was vacationing in a motel room in Wildwood Crest, New Jersey with my parents.  I remember being glued to the TV with amazement.  It's something that I'll never forget.

Roberta

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 58

Mom, Dad, sister and I were all gathered in front of the television, it was so exciting I cried!  I was 16 years old at the time.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 58

I was 10 in a makeshift basement family room in Iowa glued to our hand-me-down, black and white TV. I will never forget how amazing this event was!!  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 58

My mom got me and my siblings in front of the TV. We were in Jacksonville, FL. She felt it was important and educational. I remember much of Walter Cronkite's commentary.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have you taken a memorable trip to a destination others should know about? Post a Trip Report

city skyline captured on tablet