Take the AARP Smart Driver course and you could save on auto insurance! Sign up today.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Where were you during the moon landing?

Message 11 of 58

I had just graduated from high school the week before the moon landing, and because I no longer had to go to classes, I had the luxury of being at home to watch television. I was fascinated by this achievement of the space program.

A rather amusing and personal outcome of the moon landing for me was to be able to use the tag line, "the eagle has landed." When my mother gave me permission to attend a post-graduation party at a friend's house, I was to call Mom once I arrived.  She chuckled at my confirmation of safe arrival.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 58

I was "on-duty" at the NASA tracking station Empalme (Guaymas) Sonora, Mexico.  Either I was at a communication console or in the calibratiion lab.  Could have went to the control room where there was a network feed of TV.

I don't remember if we were activily tracking aat that time.  We had signal for only about 7 minutes due to earth's rotation.  Would come back in about 90 minutes.  Don't remember precisely, it's been a long time since.

We all were at the station almost all the time during flight.

My wife, daughter and another worker's wife, and son, left for the flight period and was touring Mexico and watched at a furnature store window some distant city.

Warren.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 58

I, along with thousands of other Americans, Koreans, Australians, Vietnamese and many other Nationalities, were in Viet Nam (forgotten, ignored, downgraded and spit upon when we returned home-unlike the "HEROS OF THE MOON LANDING).  We cheered for the success of the Moon Landing (those of us fortunate enough to have access to a TV Broadcast), but we still felt we should have some recognition also.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 58

I was at a Cleveland Indians sunday doubleheader at the old Cleveland municipal stadium.  The Indians were perennial cellar-dwellers back then, playing in a huge multi-purpose stadium in front of thousands of empty seats, but the afternoon doubleheaders still drew big crowds.  On this day, about 70,000 people came to the game.  During the intermission between games, the field announcer stopped the music and asked the crowd for its attention for an "IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT".  After a few seconds, the crowd was almost totally silent, then came the announcement: "THE LUNAR SPACECRAFT, PILOTED BY ASTRONAUTS NEIL ARMSTRONG AND EDWIN ALDRIN, HAS JUST MADE A SUCCESSFUL LANDING ON THE MOON!".  The place erupted!  The cheers shook the foundation of the stadium.  Total strangers were shaking hands, back-slapping and hugging; kids were jumping up and down and yelling.  It was the loudest noise that I had ever heard at the time.  The second game outcome was of little consequence (The Indians probably lost, but nobody seemed to be bothered by that).  Everybody went home to watch the first human step onto the surface of another heavenly body that evening.  A truly surreal day!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 58

Remembering the moon landing 50 years on has be fun.

My then-wife and I watched at our rent house in Commerce, TX. I was a Journalism student at East Texas State University (now Texas A&M at Commerce) in the flying club andcovering AFROTC.

We watched all the landing lead-in and follow-up guided by the late Walter Cronkhite of CBS. One of the first things I did after the landing was secure was go outside and look at the Moon with awe.

Rick in Maine
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 58

I was finishing my senior year in High School and working for my room and board in Ames, Iowa.  I remember it because the tv kept saying the same thing.   I think I was the only one in that household who was familiar enough with the lunar landing.  I tended to be very aware of it but could respond only marginally (I was caring for 4 children 2-5).   Anyway, that one moment stuck in my mind from then till now.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 58

I was only six at the time. We were at my grandma's house gathered around the console TV watching excitedly. Grandpa told me that when he was a boy you would have been but in the crazy house thinking somebody would walk on the moon. I wanted to see the astronauts take their hats off and eat some moon cheese. It was so exciting.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 58

Our family was all gathered around the tv set that evening, anxiously awaiting those first steps. We had started to watch earlier in the day,before Eagle started it's descent, and they were showing the simulations of how the Eagle module would land on the moon. What an exciting time! 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 58

At home in Alexandria, LA, watching with my siblings and my parents. My oldest brother was in Viet Nam and another brother was in the Army at Ft. Bragg, NC (both enlisted to avoid the draft since they had very low draft lottery numbers). Those were turbulent times but I do remember most everyone taking the time out to watch the moon landing. It was as if time stood still for a few brief moments as the whole world held its breath. It was amazing and I'll always remember it.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 58

I was sixteen and with family friends at a dude ranch. We had gone for a long dusty ride on horses, so when we got back to our cabin we hit the pool. It was over 100degrees outside and my sister got heat exhaustion. We went inside the cabin where our hosts attended to my sister. They had the TV on and were watching the lunar landing. We all gathered around the TV and breathlessly watched the first man walk on the moon! I went outside and looked up at the sky amazed at knowing men were up there on a different world than ours!

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have you taken a memorable trip to a destination others should know about? Post a Trip Report

city skyline captured on tablet