Take the AARP Smart Driver course and you could save on auto insurance! Sign up today.

Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Where were you during the moon landing?

Message 41 of 58

I love all the comments - it's interesting to me to read about what people were doing and how they remember this big event.  Thanks to all who reply!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 58

My wife and I were laying in bed in our apartment in Brooklyn, NY. It was an incredible sight to see. Many years later my wife and I had the privilege of meeting Neil Armstrong at an aviation event. The three of us had breakfast together and just talked as if we were old friends. When we told Neil that we watched the landing at 2 something in the morning he “apologized “ for keeping us up!  He was the most humble and greaceous man you could ever meet. It is still one of the most treasured highlights of my life. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 58

I was 9 years old. My grandparents had arrived from Cuba a couple of years prior. I remember watching it in their living room and how my grandmother was in awe of the accomplishment, so she took a picture of me in front of the TV when Neil Armstrong stepped down the ladder. She sent it to her family in Cuba because she knew the government wouldn't televise the event.  I still have the picture

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 58

I was in London, England that summer and watched the landing on a very small, very old TV that had a horrible picture, but it was history and I was there to witness it!

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 58

I missed it as we were too poor to have a TV.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 58

I was in the high school class of 1969 (we were SOOO cool) and I worked as a lifeguard that summer.  Someone brought a television to the pool canteen and we all watched that afternoon.  I vividly recall the landing scene and the fact that Tommy S. and Bobby B. played ping pong instead of watching man land on the moon.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 58

Family had moved to Norfolk NAS in Virginia from San Diego.  I had finished 2nd grade and watched it on or B&W TV.  Still excites me to this day.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 58

I was 20 years old and working as a desk clerk at the Howard Johnson's Motor Lodge in Rocky Hill, Connecticut.  I remember vividly watching the event on the television in the lobby that evening with people occasionally coming in.  At the time of the moon walk by Neil Amstrong and his famous, "That's one small step for man" remark, I sat watching the screen with a Nun and a young man with a dog wearing a red bandana, who had come into the lobby hoping to see it on TV...

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 58

I was sitting on my couch in Westminster, Ca watching it on TV.  It was just before my oldest son

Dante was born.  I remember him taking the step and his little boy saying, "now remember Dad;

take a big step for a man and a little step for mankind."

Mary Hamlett 

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 58

I was getting married.  I remember watching the news reports after our reception.  What a day!

Kudos
Views