Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: When It’s Healthier Not to Retire

Message 1 of 4

Retiring is one of the biggest life changes you will make!  Think long and hard about any big life change.  Plan ahead.  Know your options. 

Finding out you hate retirement and going back to work is much harder and financially unrewarding than staying at s job you like. Make sure you have considered all the options before you make that big decision. 

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 4

Retirement’s Revolving Door: Why Some Workers Can’t Call It Quits
By Bruce Horovitz DECEMBER 11, 2017
REPUBLISH THIS STORY

(Jonathan McHugh/Ikon Images/Getty Images)
ABOUT AGING

KHN’s coverage related to aging & improving care of older adults is supported by The John A. Hartford Foundation.

More: For all stories on these topics, visit our new resource page.

KHN's coverage of aging and long-term care issues is supported by The SCAN Foundation.

KHN’s coverage of end-of-life and serious illness issues is supported by The Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation.
This story also ran on USA Today. This story can be republished for free (details).
In his view, Tim Franson utterly failed at retirement.

After 20 years as a high-ranking vice president at drugmaker Eli Lilly, Franson and his wife, Chris, a successful real estate agent, thought they were quietly retiring nearly a decade ago to Bonita Springs, Fla.

For the first month or so, Franson said, he mostly slept. He wasn’t depressed, just mentally and physically exhausted.

Then, “I went crazy,” said Franson. “I’m not very good at sitting around.”

He quickly found himself back at work part time after a friend at a small pharmaceutical company asked him for strategic advice. “Things snowballed from there.”

Today, Franson, 66, consults and works about four days a week, while serving on two for-profit boards and two nonprofit boards.

Welcome to the land of the un-retired — folks who thought they were leaving the work world only to return because they sorely missed something about it, besides the money. These people in their 50s through 80s retired on pensions or savings — or both — but ultimately woke up to the fact there’s more to life than watching Florida sunsets.

Tim Franson and his wife, Chris, on vacation in Florida prior to Franson’s “failed retirement.” (Courtesy of Tim Franson)
This “un-retirement” trend continues to build, according to a 2017 Rand Corp. study showing that 39 percent of Americans 65 and older who are currently employed had previously retired. And more than half of those 50 and older who are not working and not searching for work said they would work if the “right opportunity came along,” the study found.

“We have a mistaken image of life, that you go to school, work for 40 years, then say goodbye to colleagues for the last time and embrace the leisure life,” said Chris Farrell, author of “Unretirement: How Baby Boomers Are Changing the Way We Think About Work, Community and the Good Life.” “That’s not turning out to be the arc of most people’s lives.”

https://khn.org/news/retirements-revolving-door-why-some-workers-cant-call-it-quits/

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 4

From the article

Another reason to continue working: Dr. Susan Besser, a primary care provider specializing in family medicine in Overlea, Md., says people who retire become more isolated, to some degree. But socialization, she says, is very important to mental and emotional health.

Retirees “don’t have the daily social interactions, not to mention the daily routine to help with mental emotional stability,” she says. “Also, continuing to work increases economic independence, which is also important.”

Interesting article.  If you enjoy working and want to continue there is no reason not to.  I enjoy my work and the social interaction.  The economic factor is also a plus.  

Are you still working?

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

When It’s Healthier Not to Retire

Message 4 of 4

Ken Lopaty, 87, has spent the last 55 years working at McDonalds; currently he owns seven franchises across Los Angeles. Before that, he worked a number of jobs in Chicago, starting with selling women’s magazines door-to-door at age 10. He’s been working ever since, with no plans to stop.

Lopaty says that, working, for him, is not only about the physical, but “the mental.” He notes: “It has helped me stay healthy by continuing to exercise my brain every single day. Most people I know who have retired have truly aged much quicker because they don’t have many things that fill their time.” Lopaty also thinks not retiring has helped his marriage “tremendously,” by being out of the house during the day.

https://www.nextavenue.org/healthier-not-retire/

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Top Authors