From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: What was your first car

Message 1 of 112

My first car was a brown 1973 Toyota Corolla sedan I got when I was 16.  It was my mothers car.  The New England weather really took a toll on the body and floor, so I taught myself how to do 'low budget' body work and painting.  I think it took me about 4 months to get the car ready for the road.  I still remember how happy I was and how good it felt to have done that work and have a car to drive.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 112

When I was about 20 (this would have been around 1962), I bought a 1947 Hudson for $50. My brother tried to teach me how to drive a stick shift. I semi-learned, but never figured out how to get to first gear without going back to neutral. My friend Rose Mary and I had so much fun with that car--its glove compartment you could put your arm in up to the elbow, the back seat that had a fold-down table, the cigarette lighter that reached all the way back there. My brother drove it for his job sometimes. One day a guy drove a Cadillac into the back of it. Destroyed the front of his car. Nary a scratch on the "tank". After about a year I burned out the clutch, and sold it to a guy who was going to fix it for his son, and was reduced to driving my father's fin-laden Plymouth. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 112

My first car was a 67' Ford Falcon, two door coup.  It was burgandy, and I loved it!  I had a cassette in it, right on my passenger seat! I loved that car!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 112

1964 Buick special

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 112

My first car was a 1941 Nash Ambassador.  It had dual ignition (two spark plugs in each cylinder) and was very fast and comfortable. I was new in the Air Force with orders to England, so the Nash had to go. My second car was a 1939 Jaguar which was a phenomenal  machine.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 112

66 3/4 ton ford pickup with 352 and a grany 4 speed

Brian Reynolds
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 112

My first car was a 1964 Pontiac LeMans. 326ci. Dual Exhaust. With a factory tach and 4 speed Hurst shifter. Loved that car until one day I was late for school and rapped it around a telephone pole...sigh.

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 112

I was a late bloomer. I did not have my first car until I was 34 years old. I had been working for 2 years after being a stay at home mom, and bought a 1973 Oldsmobile Cutlass, bronze with a tan leather roof. It was definitely the most beautiful car in my life. Bought and paid for on my own. I have had many since then but that one is the most memorable.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 112
At 16 I had a red and white ford fair lane 500
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 112

WOW! So many cars in over 55 years of driving and ownership - ha.

My very first "car" was a 1950 Chevy, 5 window pickup truck with 'mudgrips' all around.

What a beast - 292 V8, bright red with black fenders and trim.

My older brother and I changed the 3 speed shifting from the column to the floor.

Get this; imagine the typical shift pattern is an H.

We made the top left leg of the H 1st gear, but by ignorance of the gearing, made 2nd gear the top right leg of the H, with 3rd gear being at the bottom left leg and reverse at the bottom right of the H.

It was somewhat a nusiance of a shifting pattern, a good laugh on us and a good conservtion piece among 'the guys'.

And that's my first car story.

(After that, I drove 2 seater convertibles for the next 40 years).

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season