Congress Agrees on a Tax Bill. What Does Proposed Tax Bill Mean for Older Americans? Learn More.

Info Seeker

Re: What was your first car

Message 11 of 105

My first car was a 1947 Ford two door sedan flat head V8 with three speed transmission. Had a lotof fun withthiscarbut afriend wantedto buy it when I was a Senior in high school. Sold it and bought a 1953 Pontiac straight 8

Report Inappropriate Content
Highlighted
Info Seeker

Message 12 of 105

I learned to drive on a IH scout 4X4.  A old four banger with three speed on the flour.  My dad had over drive put in so it would go a little faster on the highway, though I don't remeber him ever going over 55.   The overdrive helped when we had to walk it out out of the sand. Had high and low in the four wheele drive.  My first very own car was a "59" VW bug, mostly blue.  It was go anywhere, out in the desert or down the highway.  It cost me about $75, the year was 1971. You could get to go about 50mph on the highway and if you moved the gas pedal over and down somemore it would creep up to about 55mph.  And even though I am a girl, I still did my own work on that car.  I was in high school and it got me down to my horse.  Lot better then walking.  Those were good years and bad years.  When the gas was 50 cents a gal. we could push it into the gas station, empty the change from our pockets and fill the tank.  Now that I do miss.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 13 of 105

A white, 4-door, 1953 Chevrolet Bel Air with a 235 ci 6 cylinder.  I bought it for $80 the summer before my 16th birthday.  My mother wasn't happy.  In a farm community, I'd already been driving for 7 years without a license.  Over Thanksgiving break I rebuilt the engine with a set of rings my father gave me for my birthday.  I discovered not all engines had bearing inserts and how to use shims to adjust the bearing gap.  Three speed on the column and it topped out at 91 mph.  I had to sell it 6 months later for $125 because I couldn't afford the insurance.  Just liability on a 16 year old primary driver was more for 6 months than I paid for the car.  My second car was a gold 1965 Falcon Futura hardtop with a 289 ci V8, and a 3 speed.  It's sitting in my garage right now.

Info Seeker

Message 14 of 105

My first car was a 1957 Chevy of course ! Bought it used in 1967. Drove it three years. Lots of fond memories, especially in the back seat. Loved that car !

Info Seeker

Message 15 of 105

First car was a 1982 Ford Fairmount. Unlike these cars today, I could work on that car myself.

Conversationalist

Message 16 of 105

First vehicle was a 1965 Volkswagon van, two tone. One of the hippie generation!

Info Seeker

Message 17 of 105

Studebaker Lark

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 18 of 105

1969 Camero SS - black vinyl seats & no A/C, but the lack of A/C never bothered me, even in the sultry & humid Georgia summers!  My Dad installed a stereo system (8 track tape!) & speakers that worked without the car on or even the key in the ignation.  Sure miss him & that car.  That car was a hit at parties on the lake - just open the trunk, put in a tape & rock & roll!  Oh, those summer nights on Lake Lanier listening to Skynnard, Zepplin, Allman Bros., etc, etc...

Silver Conversationalist

Message 19 of 105

My first car was a 1963 Ford Fairlane. It had a V-8, standard shift and of course regular brakes and steering. It was sky blue and I do remember it fondly. Made it much easier to get a date, as I recall. I got it in 1968 used and other than having to start it by rolling down a hill and popping the clutch occasionally it was a good car. My cousin and my older brother always wanted to change this or that, but as a rule money kept it pretty much as it originally came.

John

Info Seeker

Message 20 of 105

A 1969 Plymouth Satellite.  It was massive--and dark (army) green--and I called it "The Tank."  I was in high school, and I had a car, so, that was cool, but it wasn't sexy or cool, and unlike many people who've responded here, I do not remember it fondly and certainly don't wish I still had it!  It failed to start on a fairly regular basis, and we had no cell phones back then, so I spent a lot of time finding a pay phone to call my dad to come pick me up.  Oh, those were the days! NOT!