Rethink your job search and find opportunities for experienced workers with the AARP job board.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

REMINDER TO ALL - USE THE "QUOTE" FEATURE!

Message 51 of 79
@Judith1940 wrote:
I loved your response and it is heartwarming and a lovely statement for this question.

Especially in very active Discussions, it really helps if you use the "Quote" feature! That's the red box right above & on the right side of the entry panel, when you reply. Click on "Quote", before entering your response, and the system copies the post to which you're responding, so people know which post you're referring to. You can edit out anything extraneous if you want, just leaving enough for people to understand the connection.

If you don't use the "Quote", and there are a lot of posts before yours, NO ONE KNOWS TO WHICH YOU'RE REFERRING!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What was the happiest time in your life?

Message 52 of 79
I loved your response and it is heartwarming and a lovely statement for this question.
Judith J. Hoff
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 53 of 79
P
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 54 of 79

There have been many happy times in my life but the current time of being Retired at 57 from a career and now pursing a different and fun career, which allows me the time to spend with my Grandkids is absolutely the best.   The Grandkids know me as Papa Mike and they think I am crazy and will do anything with them thats fun. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 55 of 79

@marieteresa01 wrote:

Adventures with Grandma -- Grandpa had just gassed up the old Dodge and complained about the price of gas at 24 cents a gallon.  She and I were headed for Neebish Island to see an old relative. All packed, she gingerly backed out of the long driveway and we headed south for an hour’s drive to the ferry...longer since her top speed was 25 miles per hour. Bouncing along the way, she abruptly made a sharp left turn toward an eddy where I could see that cars were already lining up. Grandma stopped so quickly that we lurched forward as if hit from behind. She then slowly proceeded forward where an attendant cautiously directed her onto a flatbed ferry that carried a maximum of four cars. We’d just made it! The ferry operated on a pulley system moving efficiently from one side of the small channel to the other. I couldn’t help but think of Tom Sawyer’s exploits on the Mississippi.

Once docked, Grandma stepped on the gas pedal and we literally launched off the ferry. I don’t think it was her intention, but once on dry land she settled herself comfortably behind the steering wheel while rearranging the cushion under her bottom that gave her more height. We rode only a short distance before she made a knowing 90-degree turn into a field. Stunned, I tried to read her face for reassurance. She said, “Not to worry. I follow my nose everywhere and everytime it’s always got me where I wanted to go.” We rode through brush, dried cornstalks and the last of the summer flowers, which were taller than the car. Then frantically she bellowed, “Close the windows!! Grasshoppers!!” Despite a few grasshoppers, the drive seemed almost magical as I looked across the shimmering fields, chaff scattering and undulating against the sky. My heart pounded as we inhaled the spraying fields that the car churned up. And, sure enough, her nose had directed us to a weather beaten rooftop where black smoke from a broken chimney signaled our welcome. Tom was waiting with fresh skillet-fried biscuits and Grandma’s raspberry jam.  

Hi, marieteresa01.  I really like your writing and am wondering if there is more.  Perhaps you could think about joining some of us on the "Short Stories and Poetry" or the "Writing Memoirs" sites.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 56 of 79
April 28th,1967 was happiest day of life it was wings of freedom and the friendly skys of pan am jet that brought me to the USA. THANKS, WORDS cannot express my happiness.meeting great people in my life first,Mohammed Ali, Mavln Gaye his mother and dad Pearl Bailey,Helen Hayes from the movie Airport. From the Washington Redskins Joe Thiesman and other redskins players I am very much impressed to be in there present.When I leave my beautiful Island of Trinidad & Tobago it was not a mistake it was PURE HAPPINESS and joy and still feel that way still Happiness is what you make of it,keep the faith keep your head high strive for the best.This is one nation will stand strong forever,I believe in the United State Of America On Christ the solid rock we stand all other ground is sinking sand.America is solid.I have learned so much and happy to share it with the world.But also PEACE WILL ALWAYS REIGN FOREVER.
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 57 of 79

Adventures with Grandma -- Grandpa had just gassed up the old Dodge and complained about the price of gas at 24 cents a gallon.  She and I were headed for Neebish Island to see an old relative. All packed, she gingerly backed out of the long driveway and we headed south for an hour’s drive to the ferry...longer since her top speed was 25 miles per hour. Bouncing along the way, she abruptly made a sharp left turn toward an eddy where I could see that cars were already lining up. Grandma stopped so quickly that we lurched forward as if hit from behind. She then slowly proceeded forward where an attendant cautiously directed her onto a flatbed ferry that carried a maximum of four cars. We’d just made it! The ferry operated on a pulley system moving efficiently from one side of the small channel to the other. I couldn’t help but think of Tom Sawyer’s exploits on the Mississippi.

Once docked, Grandma stepped on the gas pedal and we literally launched off the ferry. I don’t think it was her intention, but once on dry land she settled herself comfortably behind the steering wheel while rearranging the cushion under her bottom that gave her more height. We rode only a short distance before she made a knowing 90-degree turn into a field. Stunned, I tried to read her face for reassurance. She said, “Not to worry. I follow my nose everywhere and everytime it’s always got me where I wanted to go.” We rode through brush, dried cornstalks and the last of the summer flowers, which were taller than the car. Then frantically she bellowed, “Close the windows!! Grasshoppers!!” Despite a few grasshoppers, the drive seemed almost magical as I looked across the shimmering fields, chaff scattering and undulating against the sky. My heart pounded as we inhaled the spraying fields that the car churned up. And, sure enough, her nose had directed us to a weather beaten rooftop where black smoke from a broken chimney signaled our welcome. Tom was waiting with fresh skillet-fried biscuits and Grandma’s raspberry jam.  

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 58 of 79

Hi PattyDiane,  No, unfortunately I don't have horses anymore.  I wish I did.  I'm in Arizona now but a couple of years ago I went on a trail ride.  I hadn't ridden in years but I had been wanting to so bad so I got together the money for a cab and went up to where the stable was and rode again.  It felt great.  I can't drive anymore so cabs are my only way around.  I took my second trail ride in 2013.  That one was for 2 hrs.  No running of course but it was nice just being on the back of a horse again.  Maybe I'll be able to do it again in the future.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 59 of 79

@misscalicokitty wrote:

The happiest time in my life was when I was 20 and I bought my first horse.  I was with a group of people that also had horses and we would go riding in the forest preserve every weekend and sometimes during the week at night after work and of course tell scary ghost stories as we were riding on the trail after dark.  I had so much fun.  We would get back to the stables and the man that owned the stable had told us we could use the bunkhouse whenever we wanted so we usually went in there after riding and talked and watched TV.  Sometimes we would go out to eat together or go to one of our houses and party and dance and just have fun.  We all joined in a parade one time which was very fun.  It was something that I had also wanted to do since the time I was 7 years old and went to a parade in my hometown and saw people riding their horses in it.  I wanted so much to be able to have a horse and do that.  My whole life was spent wanting a horse and I finally was able to do that.  The absolute best time of my whole life.  I just wish I could be able to do it again.  I always wished that I had grown up on a ranch so I could be a cowgirl just like Annie Oakley.  I always watched all the western that were on TV.  I don't know where I got my love of horses from but from the time I was 4 or 5 I was crazy about horses.  My parents could never figure out why.  Maybe in my "next life" I will grow up on a ranch and have horses.  You never know.  Woman Wink

I love your story and I wonder if you still have horses.  It made me think of a good friend that I sadly lost last year.  She was very much into horses but had finally had to give them up when she had a child and didn't have time for them.  She went on to have other interests that she was just as passionate about, but whenever she would talk about her horses I would see her younger self.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 60 of 79

The happiest time in my life was when I was 20 and I bought my first horse.  I was with a group of people that also had horses and we would go riding in the forest preserve every weekend and sometimes during the week at night after work and of course tell scary ghost stories as we were riding on the trail after dark.  I had so much fun.  We would get back to the stables and the man that owned the stable had told us we could use the bunkhouse whenever we wanted so we usually went in there after riding and talked and watched TV.  Sometimes we would go out to eat together or go to one of our houses and party and dance and just have fun.  We all joined in a parade one time which was very fun.  It was something that I had also wanted to do since the time I was 7 years old and went to a parade in my hometown and saw people riding their horses in it.  I wanted so much to be able to have a horse and do that.  My whole life was spent wanting a horse and I finally was able to do that.  The absolute best time of my whole life.  I just wish I could be able to do it again.  I always wished that I had grown up on a ranch so I could be a cowgirl just like Annie Oakley.  I always watched all the western that were on TV.  I don't know where I got my love of horses from but from the time I was 4 or 5 I was crazy about horses.  My parents could never figure out why.  Maybe in my "next life" I will grow up on a ranch and have horses.  You never know.  Woman Wink

Kudos
Views