Learn how to spot and avoid common scams with AARP's Fraud Resource Center. Try it today!

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What was the best correction that you thought at the time was worst punishment?

Message 1 of 12

My Mom used to threaten me and my brother with a wooden spoon if we didn’t take our rowdiness outside. She used an underhand swing trying to hit our rear but I don’t think she really tried that hard to connect with her swings. We thought it was kind of funny. It was more of a deterrent to scare us. I remember onetime she connected with my elbow and it really stung. I always used to tell her that swing at my elbow ruined my chances of receiving a major league pitching contract.

My dad’s discipline was very much like a strict arbitrator who gave us an ultimatum that we would never like, to either fly right or face the consequences of drastic life style changes, no TV, no after school extracurricular fun events, grounded. He never believed hitting or soap in the mouth was the right way to discipline. Neither I nor my siblings have ever been arrested and we’ve been pretty productive citizens all our life. So their brand of punishment turned out to be not so bad. And I practiced the same self-control with my kids and they turned out pretty great too.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What was the worst punishment you had as a child?

Message 2 of 12

I'm another one who rarely speaks of my childhood punishments outside of a therapist's office.  And, yes, they did traumatize me, especially since many times I was unsure of exactly what crime I had committed.

With that being said, I can think of one story that I've always found fun to think about because I don't actually remember it.  Apparently I was going through the "terrible two's" and had resorted to throwing tantrums in order to get what I wanted.  I was the first child and my mother had no idea how to handle it.  As the story goes, she asked the doctor for advice while I was still in the room.  His advice was to throw a bucket of water on my head.  The next time I began the tantrum I was threatened with the water.  I thought it sounded like fun and started to giggle at the prospect.  This made my mother laugh too and I never got the water treatment.  My mother said that was also the last time I threw a tantrum.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 12

My parents divorced early on, and I was my Mother's regular companion doing things. The worst punishment I could get as a child, was to be "uninvited" from some fun/special thing Mom had planned for us. The threat was immediate if I misbehaved, and unless I was contrite Mom followed thru on it.

In thinking about "cause & effect" now, while I'm sure that punishment made/makes me think twice about what I'm about to do that might be questionable, it never gave me FOMO as an adult!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 12

OK, OK I got one that's not too traumatic:  I had to wash every dish in the house three times as punishment for who-can-even-remember. Maybe I didn't get the silverware spotless? 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 12

I won't mention the worst.   I've had some weird punishments.  My mom would wash my mouth out with soap if I came inside speaking with a "country" accent.  Said it sounded uneducated.  But we lived in the country, lol.   

That actually did work, I guess.    

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 12

Alright @GailL1, now you have me thinking you and I are long lost sisters.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 12

Perhaps if the heading of the thread were worded with something other than

" the worst punishment you had as a child  -  say, something like . . . . 

What disciplinary measure worked to change a bad behavior when you were a child ?

The subject title gives no indication of what the direction the thread should go -

TO ME, discipline is a totally different ballgame than punishment.

I answered the OP's question -

Is washing a kid's mouth out with soap a punishment or discipline?

What if the soap was switched to something else - something toxic.

I'm thinking this was a thread started with good intentions but worded wrong and it should be about what actions were used to successfully give good results.

Nothing I experienced got results - most of the time, I was wondering what I did wrong.

As I got older, I understood the problem and at a very early age became her caregiver and then her sole caregiver.  I forgave the person but always hated the illness.  Therefore she never lived with me but I still took care of her in every way and in a good way everyday of her life from 1981 (father and brother died) to 2014 when she died at the age of 89.  I will not say that on that day I did not feel some relief along with the grief.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 12

Well, but I'm a big girl wearing big girl pants. Nothing that happened in my life can take away who I became and what I have achieved in spite of it. And while, yes, there are many things I will not discuss on a forum like this, for reasons ranging from how other forum users have reacted to such stories to wanting to keep them private for publishing reasons, I don't agree that this is a poor or hurtful subject.

Maybe it's more that we should have resisted the urge to post our non-replies to this topic. (Sorry @AARPTeri)

Actually, I'd like to read how 'normal' families approached punishment and correction. I've never seen 'normal', so hey, community, show me normal. Smiley Happy 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 12

@AARPTeri wrote:

I recently was discussing how a punishment as a child has kept me from cursing too often.  When I was young, my older sister tattled on me using a curse word.  My father brought me home and I sat with a sudsy washcloth in my mouth for what felt like an hour, but was probably a few minutes!  It really worked, I rarely curse and when in pain at the doctors he laughed when I yelled Sugar!

How about you?

Why do you think that the first two responders state that "You do not want to know."

It is because this is a pretty poor subject to bring rise to in a forum like this.

I say this because a lot of people have had trauma due to the punishment they received as children.

Bringing these memories to the forefront may or may not be healthy.

This is no place to get counseling for that trauma.

With that said, corporal punishment was still alive and well in our schools where I grew up. When I acted up, I got paddled by my teacher, in front of the class, with a paddle from one of those paddle and ball on an elastic string toys (with the elastic string and ball removed).

If I acted up further, I was sent to the principal's office. He had a paddle made out of solid wood, about two feet long or longer, about an inch and a half thick, with holes drilled into it to reduce wind resistance. In the privacy of his office, he would bring that paddle down with all the force a grown man could muster 5-7 times based on your offense.

It was a barbarian way to discipline a child.

That is another reason why I think this was a poorly selected subject.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 12

I'm of the same class as @GailL1. You do not want to know. I will say that one of my elder sisters got her mouth washed out by the Mother Superior in front of the entire school and that was, without a doubt, the most mild punishment any one of us received as children.

The good news: I have written 3 novels about my childhood, so all that >stuff< was at least good for storytelling purposes. Smiley Happy What doesn't kill ya ....

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera