Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: What was cool when you were young?

Message 1 of 11

Converse high tops, grunge-wear with a little punk influence. Super straight leg button fly jeans, Levis of course!  Were you a jock, a stoner, liked to party or a nerd?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 11

One of the silliest, but most memorable memories was this: I went to an all girls private school that taught grades 1-12.  A we progressed through the blocks (1-3, 3-6, 6-9 and 9-12) our uniforms changed from a blue jumper, to a plaid jumper, to a plaid skirt and white blouse to the most coveted and navy skirt, white blouse and a navy sweater.  I remember being in awe of the next set of uniforms and being so very proud when I put on that navy skirt.  During the summers we swam in the ocean, went on great family trips, wne to the local ammusement park and just enjoyed being with our friends.

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 11

Cruisin the local drive-ins in my chopped and channeled '51 Mercury, lookin for chics to party with while wearing my white tee shirt with a pack of cigs rolled into one of the sleeves!

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 11

In the mid to late '60's in Indiana, I wore pink frosted lipstick, a bow in my hair clipped to the side near my ear,  T-strap shoes, nylons with a garter belt (yikes!) and a sassy wig hat!

BTW, a local school district in Oregon just revised their dress code, allowing students to wear pajamas (yes, PJ's) to school.  Seriously???

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 11

High School in the late '60's.  My school had a dress code:  penny loafers (but not with the penny in the slot).  A very few wore flared pants i.e. bell bottoms. A pretty conservative - at that time - school.  Drove around with an 8 track player in the car but moving toward cassette tapes. Listening to "77 WABC" radio from NYC.  Music of all spectrums from hard rock to BJ Thomas.  Graduating summer - '69 - a rough year: Woodstock, Charles Manson killings, Ted Kennedy/Chappaquiddick. 

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 11

Those little boots-different colors sometimes but WHITE was the thing (mine were this); mniskirts; long, long hair, BELLBOTTOMS (still have a pair kept from the 60s, believe it or don't!); anything with fringes, an Amiercan Native vibe; not wearing a bra (!); just look at pics of Vietnam War/Woodstock era and you'll get a clue..!

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 11

I  was in high school in the early ''60s and the girls were not allowed to wear slacks (mini-skirts were a little later) and while we did not have to wear uniforms, we wore skirts that reached the knees and a nice blouse or sweater.  The boys were expected to wear nice pants and a shirt.  They could not have long hair, so you often saw them with crew cuts.  One odd trend the girls had, we wore a cardigan sweater backwards (buttons in the back!).  Since I never took a bus to school, often the weather was terrible, rainy or snowy.  When it snowed I wore pants under my skirt and took them off in the school locker room.  We often had extremely cold temperatures so wore knee socks in our boots.  Anything to stay warm!  It was a very conservative time for fashion, but by the end of the decade, miniskirts came in and of course the battle between students and dress codes began!

Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 11

They were called Hot Pants. They were like culottes, divided skirts that were as short as could be! Also, fishnet stockings were all the rage. And high boots, the gaudier the better! Mine were white patent leather. Thought I was so cool when I was wearing them. Hair was long and stick straight. I remember trying to iron mine with my Moms iron. She about killed me when she caught me! 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 11

We had dress codes in our high school. Mini skirts were very popular, but not allowed at school. Our skirts had to be knee length and touch the ground when kneeling. Girls never wore pants, much less shorts, to school. We took pride in wearing nice looking but simple dresses (shifts were popular), skirts and blouses, fixed our hair (bouffant bubble for short hair or just long and straight) and makeup, especially eye makeup. The boys wore jeans or khakis with sport shirts or polo shirts. 

Today, pretty much anything goes from what I see, except in private schools.

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 11

Rollerskating (the kind with four wheels) and being able to skate backwards and to dance while skating was cool.  Also, being able to do tricks with a yo-yo was a cool thing to do when I was a kid.

Kudos
Views