Learn how to use Uber, Lyft and other ride-sharing services!  Register now for a free AARP webinar Nov. 18.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: What traditions should stay and what should we now forego?

Message 11 of 22

I do  not trade in my car until it is several years old. I hate car payments, and usually keep a car for ten or more years. Currently, I drive a 2002 Dodge Neon, and I am happy to say, we just keep rolling along.  I have had a couple maor repairs, but not enought o make me want to ditch the car!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 22

6 Year undergrad tradition! I think the tradition of the last few decades of students spending 6 years in college for a BA is not good!  It is too expensive- they add two years of debt and miss out on two years of earning...a double-whammy.  Families and students need to start considering 4 years more normal again and universities need to address this issue by helping students plan for the classes they need. 

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 22

@ln55554413 - Since my immediate family is gone, I spend holidays with 2nd cousins. A while back I announced that I was only going to buy gifts for the 3 children, and didn't want anything for myself. When they distributed "wish lists" for the kids, I'd give out a short list of charities I liked .. if anyone felt motivated & generous to donate, instead of giving me a gift. No one seemed upset with my new system.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 22

I have truly begun in the last few years to hate the strain and stress of Christmas giving.  I think we should think of third-world countries where clean water and such are the norm and actually could benefit a whole community by our giving.  I hate the gifts I get (not that I would ever share that with anyone) and I hate the stress of finding a gift for every Tom, Dick & Harry it seems (family, co-workers, study groups...you name it!) The giving of gifts is so out of hand and does not "represent" the joy of giving a gift...which I believe is where the tradition started.  Now it's nothing but materialism.  Who can afford this mass chaos anyway?  I hope to talk to my family because I've wanted to say something for years.  I still would buy for the children (I have 2 grandkids) because it is special for them, but adults not so much.  

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 22

Trading in cars in a year or two:  I think the whole belief in having to trade your car in every few years to avoid or capitalize on some phantom loss, is a great deal for automakers and lenders, but not that great for consumers.  I like seeing some automakers try to make their cars last a long time, and also like seeing them sell guaranteed/certified pre-owned cars.  Using a good, maintained car for 10 or 15 years, with a decade of no car payment is a way to escape the financial hamster wheel a bit (and yes, sometimes you pay for a repair- but if you pay $600 2x a year instead of 12, it's all good!) 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 22

Conversationalist, with houses harder than ever to afford than ever (and hence fewer big dining rooms), and all the things you listed, I agree that the expectation (or feeling of something missing) when you don't have a crowd during the holidays, needs to be tempered or modernized!  On top of all that is is the most dangerous time of year to travel in the midwest (snow and ice and drunk driving).   I can't hear in a big crowd, so getting together with a few people at a time is much more enjoyable to me!

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 22

Envy families around tables for holidays, anniversaries, birthdays. Not something I ever knew. Can picture a children's table with special plates each child could claim. How wonderful.  It isn't just distance that ended these practices. People don't mix-n-mingle in homes as often as older generations once did. Calls are screened then not returned. Maybe it's the economy and schedules. Our children played w/more freedom and adults were off the clock at home.  

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 22

There was a tradition in my family at Thanksgiving when I was young, where my grandparents hosted all their children and grandchildren. Adults ate at the main table, children at card tables to the side. Each child had a special plate from the dining room wall. Mine had a duck on it. I had to eat till I could see it. After dinner, the Thanksgiving Day parade passed right by their living room windows. Now, with far-flung families, that tradition is more rare, which is a shame. After my grandmother's death, my mom gave me that plate. It's over a hundred years old now, and has graced the kitchen wall of every place I've ever lived for the past forty-five years. 

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 22

Totally agree, ASTRAEA. When I first heard numbers above $20,000 for weddings, I cringed. Gowns are above $3,000! Separations and divorce often within 24 months and marriage entered w/ credit card debt. I cringe at destination weddings because they exclude so many family/friends. Pay or miss is mean and seems to show superiority. Small family, fighting families and older couples, maybe OK.  Housing, retirement, and daily life pleasures matter later.  Shared events w/ those important in our lives should not come w/unreasonable costs.  Family dinners, home or elsewhere, are a good start.  What happened to "Thank You" cards? 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 22

I HATE TEXTING OR BEING ON A CELL PHONE where there are REAL people to talk to at the dinner table or other events.  I feel it is extremely rude, shows you don't care about others around and would like to be in your own little world.  Well, hello out there, there are humans to interact with, eye to eye.  To me, it also shows poor manners of not paying attention to who is with you physically in the present.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors