Get the vision care news and information you need in the AARP Eye Center.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What to Do With Your Life, Or Is it too late?

Message 1 of 6

@saucykicker wrote:

@nyadrn: WOW. Great post. I even checked out the article. Thanks for sharing! Especially your presentation....

I have had the fortune/misfortune to experience multiple life changing events over the last decade. And now fortunately, I am completely aware I have a ship and I need to be the captain. It's kind of funny in a sad way...but it seems like a lot of work. I am a hard worker....for EVERYBODY else but myself. 

I am optimistic that one step at a time, I may get closer to being happy for real in 2018! My standards and expectations keep morphing closer and closer to Reality As It Already IS. And that has been helpful.

My New Years' Resolution has broadly evolved in this fashion for the last several years:

1. I will survive Jan 2011
  2. Send Mother Off on Her Bucket List 2012
  3. WORK to go to Easter Island Jan 2013
  4. I can do it! Start a business Jan 2014
  5. YAY! Angkor Wat/Ankgor Thom Cambodia Jan 2015
  6. Niagara Falls Fabulous Jan 2016
  7. Hit and a Miss Jan 2017
  8. ??2018 Self Care Daily Discipline and Structure??Jan 2018

What was I listening to NYE 2017?

It's all an illusion....I don't care....

I searched, I searched, I searched my whole life
To find, find, find the secret
But all I did was open up my eyes
Baby we can do it, we can do it all right

Madonna, Can We Get Together?   

@saucykicker  Thank you for the post.. glad that you have taken charge of what you can in your life.  It is January and I am working on this year's plans.  It makes the winter months pass more quickly!!  

Do you have goals for 2018?

I am adding vacation days to the trips I really enjoyed and dumping some of the others LOL

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 6

@nyadrn: WOW. Great post. I even checked out the article. Thanks for sharing! Especially your presentation....

I have had the fortune/misfortune to experience multiple life changing events over the last decade. And now fortunately, I am completely aware I have a ship and I need to be the captain. It's kind of funny in a sad way...but it seems like a lot of work. I am a hard worker....for EVERYBODY else but myself. 

I am optimistic that one step at a time, I may get closer to being happy for real in 2018! My standards and expectations keep morphing closer and closer to Reality As It Already IS. And that has been helpful.

My New Years' Resolution has broadly evolved in this fashion for the last several years:

1. I will survive Jan 2011
  2. Send Mother Off on Her Bucket List 2012
  3. WORK to go to Easter Island Jan 2013
  4. I can do it! Start a business Jan 2014
  5. YAY! Angkor Wat/Ankgor Thom Cambodia Jan 2015
  6. Niagara Falls Fabulous Jan 2016
  7. Hit and a Miss Jan 2017
  8. ??2018 Self Care Daily Discipline and Structure??Jan 2018

What was I listening to NYE 2017?

It's all an illusion....I don't care....

I searched, I searched, I searched my whole life
To find, find, find the secret
But all I did was open up my eyes
Baby we can do it, we can do it all right

Madonna, Can We Get Together?   

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 6

@WebWiseWoman wrote:

You have given me the push I need!

This year has been rough; my 2 youngest daughters and their step-sis survived Route 91 1-October...

That was rough and I knew I needed re-definition. At 63 I am not done yet!

Then yesterday lady was knocked down and purse stolen, I didn't see it but was able to assist her after (hope that helped).

You just gave me the path!

Thank you nyadrn!

#VegasStrong

At 63 you are younger than me and certainly you are not done : )   We all need motivation from time to time.  

I was reading an inspirational booklet when I read about directing your own little boat on the sea of life and that idea has helped me make decisions for quite a long time now.  I came to realize that no matter what, we all get older and our lives will change.  We can either do our best to direct those changes to the path we want to be on or we can give up and just let life happen to us.   I don't like that idea LOL.   I am sure you will make all the decisions that are right for you. Let me know how it is working for you  Woman Happy

Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 6

You have given me the push I need!

This year has been rough; my 2 youngest daughters and their step-sis survived Route 91 1-October...

That was rough and I knew I needed re-definition. At 63 I am not done yet!

Then yesterday lady was knocked down and purse stolen, I didn't see it but was able to assist her after (hope that helped).

You just gave me the path!

Thank you nyadrn!

#VegasStrong

Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 6

So I can imagine what some of you are thinking...   isn't this a topic for a younger person, someone in their 20's or 30's or even 40's .......

but think again.

OK so you are older.  Are you done living?  Is the rest of your life set in stone?  Do you have choices about lots of things? including where to live, how to live, when to retire, whether to relocate or stay in your home, how to handle your finances?  and the list goes on and on and on..  

If your life is not over then you have choices and options.  The new year is fast approaching.  Take the time to sit down and think about where you are and where you are going.  What your options are and most importantly, what you want to do!!   We all have choices.  They may not all be great but they are ours.  You can either sit in the boat of life and let it carry you wherever the stream is going or you can take direction.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

What to Do With Your Life, Or Is it too late?

Message 6 of 6

5 Tips to Help You Figure Out What to Do With Your Life

To figure out what I wanted to do, I did what I know best: I read everything, found the most useful tips and frameworks and started putting a plan into action. I had been quietly sharing this presentationwith all the women I know, but at the behest of a friend and colleague, I’m sharing it publicly in hopes that it’ll be useful for you — if you, too, have been thinking about what to do with your life.

Start by looking backward

It may feel impossible to predict what exactly you’ll be doing next, but what you can do is connect the dots looking backward. Find the common thread. What did you do? What did you learn? What are the themes? Let that be the compass for how to make future decisions.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/09/smarter-living/5-tips-to-help-you-figure-out-what-to-do-with-your...

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors