Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What's your favorite thing about winter?

Message 71 of 77

We usually go to Florida for a month every year(March). After last year`s winter (worst in 40 years) we  decided to go 3 months(January1st -thru April 1st). Wouldn`t you know , we haven`t had any measurable snow this season and we are heading south in 3 weeks. Bah Humbug!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 72 of 77

I live in an area of the country where snow is a very infrequent thing.  At the first mention of a possible snowflake our grocery stores are mobbed like it was Black Friday and the shelves are soon cleared of most everything, even though it's been rare for snow to last on the ground more than 24 hours, if it sticks at all.  I don't usually race to the grocery store, but my nose is pressed to the window looking for those flakes to start falling down.

But my favorite thing about winter is that the days start to get longer again.  Right now I'm very conscious of the fact that the sun sets earlier today than it did yesterday.  I like it much better when things turn around.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 73 of 77

After growing up in California heat - now residing in cooler, even cold weather at times, I'm lovin' it.  Afterall you can always layer on clothing to get warm, but one can only take off so much to be decent and yet be comfortable in those high temperatures.

If folks didn't question my sanity, I'd even join neighbor kids and make snowpeople.  Snow is beautiful the way it drapes trees and mountains.  The air is refreshing and walking in deep snow is great exercise.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 74 of 77

"...Sorry to sound like an old fogey but snow/winter and I have never been friends....".

I guess DW and I just take it in stride. We continue to do long walks outdoors, unless it's below 0 + wind chill. We still go out and walk, just keeping it to an hour. We purposely have good winter gear (we're long-time, hard-core hikers) and can stay warm. I do watch too much TV in winter, but on the other hand, do far more reading and spend a good 50% more time at the gym. We do some winter day trips and weekend trips. And, since we're not working, cars can stay in garage and rarely need to be scraped unless it snows when we go out. It's also trip planning time --- spending hours and hours on the PC and looking at brochures for hiking/biking/accomodation/transportation info. Also, as all gardeners know, it's time to look at garden catalogs.

Hey --- El Nino. Should be a bit warmer this year. It will be 45 in Chicago tomorrow.

To give a single response to OP --- it's having the fireplace. I spend a lot of time cutting, hauling, splitting, stacking firewood (I'm on several acres, heavily treed). So, I will have this going 24 hours a day at times (it's a high efficiency insert, so I get a lot of heat)

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 75 of 77

I totally agree with NCTarheel, and was even thinking of posting that my favorite thing about winter is "SPRING" .. before I read his post!

For those of us who live in states where it remains too cold for that pretty dusting/coating of snow to melt on its own, it takes me hours to shovel my double driveway, as well as the stairs up to the front porch. There's no just staying toasty inside, because the town plow pushes an extra 3' of snow beyond the end of my driveway, and if I don't do it soon, the letter carrier can't get near the mailbox .. nor can I walk out to get it either.

Yes, I've had professional plow services in the past; my first year we had a heavy snow, and the service charged me almost $400. See how much you like snow, when you have 3 or 4 heavy snowfalls a season, and have to pay that much .. or shovel it yourself.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 76 of 77

@AARPTeri wrote:

As a kid it was definitely the snow days!

I still love the snow  and I usually notice that people are in better moods when there is a beautiful white snow covering the ground.  Snow is definintely my favorite thing about winter - what's yours?

My favorite thing about winter is that spring is just around the corner. I am not trying to be funny. Let me explain why.

I find the opposite of your observation regarding the winter months. I find more than my share of acquiantences that suffer from mind seasonal affective disorder.  I may suffer from a touch of this malady myself. Moods are somber during the dark months of winter and brighten up as there is more sun in the spring. The inherent difficulties snow causes, especially at my age, such as difficulty driving, shoveling the hard surfaces of my property, scraping off the vehicles, difficulty walking because of slippery surfaces, broken shrubs and fallen trees, makes me definitely NOT a fan of that form of precipitation. Give me a good spring shower any day.

Sorry to sound like an old fogey but snow/winter and I have never been friends.

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

What's your favorite thing about winter?

Message 77 of 77

As a kid it was definitely the snow days!

I still love the snow  and I usually notice that people are in better moods when there is a beautiful white snow covering the ground.  Snow is definintely my favorite thing about winter - what's yours?

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Replies