Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Snow coverup

Message 31 of 77

I like winter for the beauty. What a wonderful way to cover up all that is ugly: trash, stuff laying around in yards, dead trees and plants, and detritus of everyday outdoor life.

Report Inappropriate Content
Tags (2)
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What's your favorite thing about winter?

Message 32 of 77

@kom2010 wrote:

My favorite thing about winter is that I no longer live in Chicago. In the San Francisco Bay Area, it was about 57 degrees and I spent most of the day in a t-shirt. 

We're wimps out here. The temp drops to 50 degrees and we all complain "we're freezing!"

My calla lilies are coming up to bloom, my purple iris have been out for a month. The tibouchina loves all this rain and is blooming like crazy. Even my "Margaret Merrill" rose popped out a few blooms between rainstorms.

I can totally understand what you are saying.  I like on the shores of Lake Erie in Ohio and will be only too happy to   spend winters in a warmer climate!  San Francisco is beautiful.. congrats on your relocation!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 77

My favorite thing about winter is that I no longer live in Chicago. In the San Francisco Bay Area, it was about 57 degrees and I spent most of the day in a t-shirt. 

We're wimps out here. The temp drops to 50 degrees and we all complain "we're freezing!"

My calla lilies are coming up to bloom, my purple iris have been out for a month. The tibouchina loves all this rain and is blooming like crazy. Even my "Margaret Merrill" rose popped out a few blooms between rainstorms.

IMG_3351.JPGUnnamed iris

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 77

@rm63124978 wrote:

Up north here. When winter sets in and the snow is a blowing, I sit by the fire because there is nowhere I'm going! There are no files, no spiders, no ants, and no crawly creatures alive in my pants. No grass to mow, no spots to seed, no flowers to plant, no garden to weed. The snow falls down softly and covers the ground, a perfect white blanket, that softens the sounds. And that soft fluffy blanket does me a favor. It's the only time of the year my lawn looks as good as the neighbors.

For sure,  you got that right...

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 77

Up north here. When winter sets in and the snow is a blowing, I sit by the fire because there is nowhere I'm going! There are no files, no spiders, no ants, and no crawly creatures alive in my pants. No grass to mow, no spots to seed, no flowers to plant, no garden to weed. The snow falls down softly and covers the ground, a perfect white blanket, that softens the sounds. And that soft fluffy blanket does me a favor. It's the only time of the year my lawn looks as good as the neighbors.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 77

First I'd like to say that I used to love winter.  I loved making snow angels with the kids and going ice skating.  However, the older I get the less I enjoy it.  The best thing about winter for me is getting a good book and a cup of tea and curling up by a window where I can occaisionally look out and see the beauty of the snow on the branches of the trees.  Yes, it is very pretty, but I am content to only go out in it when I run out of something  essential.  Hopefully that will be on a day that is above freezing. 

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 77

@Chrystal54 wrote:

To be honest, my favorite thing about Winter, is its absence. I do not like the cold weather and with Michigan being surrounded by all five lakes, it gets ridiculously cold here. Brrrrrr!

Yes, that IS my favorite thing about winter also.  Not too bad in Missouri so far,  think is going to get really cold soon.  Of course we have had this flooding problem,  Strange weather.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 77

To be honest, my favorite thing about Winter, is its absence. I do not like the cold weather and with Michigan being surrounded by all five lakes, it gets ridiculously cold here. Brrrrrr!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 77
That global warming is cutting it back a bit.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 77

I always put out bird feeders, and enjoy watching the birds that come into the yard. Other than that, I do not like cold weather at all, or the long gray days. Fortunately, it doesn't get as cold in central Texas as other parts of the country. The best thing about winter is looking forward to spring!

Kudos
Views