There's always more to discover with an AARP membership! Check out your member benefits.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What's your favorite kitchen gadget?

Message 41 of 49

@BertyBGone  I know what you mean. I have measuring spoons in the shape of a rooster that I keep but don't use.  And a stash of milk glass >> everythings << that I only trot out a few times a year. Smiley Happy

I rue the day that I will have to say goodbye to some of this stuff. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 49

I love my microplane too.  I used it yesterday to make very fine breadcrumbs out of some stale bread.  It worked "grate" - get it?  haha

I also love old kitchenware from the 50's, etc.  I have a set of measuring cups shaped like swans that look so kitschy when nested together.  I don't use them but wouldn't part with them either!

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 49

@nyadrn, I admit it sounds a bit odd and we only do it with one recipe. The obsession started with a 2002 recipe from "Cook's Illustrated" for their Soft and Chewy Molasses Spice Cookies. My husband and I have been making them for friends every year since then. Our cookie eaters have high expectations and the dough measuring takes it to a new level LOL. One of our neighbors, who has a lot of willpower, will squirel away her stash having ONE cookie with her tea every day until they're gone. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 49

AARPLynne wrote:

Great topic, @BertyBGone! Would an ice cream scoop be considered a gadget? (Kidding!) Joking aside, at the moment I'd say my favorite gadget is a kitchen scale. It's great for everything from measuring coffee beans for pour-over brewing to helping with basic portion control. It's also great for baking cookies if you want to measure uniform balls of dough for a professional looking result.

Ok now. How many people in real life do you know who measure their cookie dough balls.  🤣 

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 49

I have a microplane that I use to grate hard cheese. It makes the thinnest bits, just perfect for garnishing a dish! I love it. I also use an electric skillet 5 or so times a week to poach eggs or to whip up a stir fry. That thing is probably the most versatile item in my kitchen. I replaced the microwave with a toaster oven over a decade back: that toaster oven is the bomb! And I adore my yogurt maker, too. But maybe, just maybe my favorite kitchen gadget (really appliance) is the stainless steel rice cooker/steamer. It makes the most wonderful quinoa and veggies.

If we're being nostalgic, I guess my two faves are the antique French butter curler and the pie crimper.I hardly use them anymore, but keep them because they are cool. Smiley Happy

Truth is I just love to cook. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 49
After bending too many spoons, I can't live without an ice cream scoop either!
Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 49

Great topic, @BertyBGone! Would an ice cream scoop be considered a gadget? (Kidding!) Joking aside, at the moment I'd say my favorite gadget is a kitchen scale. It's great for everything from measuring coffee beans for pour-over brewing to helping with basic portion control. It's also great for baking cookies if you want to measure uniform balls of dough for a professional looking result.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 49

Hands down without a doubt    My Microwave Oven!!!!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

What's your favorite kitchen gadget?

Message 49 of 49

After using my salad spinner for what seems like the millionth time, I'm wondering what is your favorite, can't-live-without kitchen gadget?  I don't mean common appliances - like micowave, coffee pot, toaster, blender, etc - but a true gadget such as a special knife, As Seen On TV product, pizza cutter, etc?  I consider things like a George Foreman grill or Veg-O-Matic to be a gadget as well.

Yep, mine is a salad spinner.  It gets more use in my kitchen than almost anything else.

Kudos
Views
Replies