Boycotts, Movements and Marches: Relive Some of the Events That Led To Change During the Civil Rights Movement. Read More

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: What's your favorite kitchen gadget?

Message 1 of 9

@BertyBGone  I know what you mean. I have measuring spoons in the shape of a rooster that I keep but don't use.  And a stash of milk glass >> everythings << that I only trot out a few times a year. Smiley Happy

I rue the day that I will have to say goodbye to some of this stuff. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Conversationalist

Message 2 of 9

I love my microplane too.  I used it yesterday to make very fine breadcrumbs out of some stale bread.  It worked "grate" - get it?  haha

I also love old kitchenware from the 50's, etc.  I have a set of measuring cups shaped like swans that look so kitschy when nested together.  I don't use them but wouldn't part with them either!

Community Manager

Message 3 of 9

@nyadrn, I admit it sounds a bit odd and we only do it with one recipe. The obsession started with a 2002 recipe from "Cook's Illustrated" for their Soft and Chewy Molasses Spice Cookies. My husband and I have been making them for friends every year since then. Our cookie eaters have high expectations and the dough measuring takes it to a new level LOL. One of our neighbors, who has a lot of willpower, will squirel away her stash having ONE cookie with her tea every day until they're gone. 

Message 4 of 9

AARPLynne wrote:

Great topic, @BertyBGone! Would an ice cream scoop be considered a gadget? (Kidding!) Joking aside, at the moment I'd say my favorite gadget is a kitchen scale. It's great for everything from measuring coffee beans for pour-over brewing to helping with basic portion control. It's also great for baking cookies if you want to measure uniform balls of dough for a professional looking result.

Ok now. How many people in real life do you know who measure their cookie dough balls.  🤣 

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith

Message 5 of 9

I have a microplane that I use to grate hard cheese. It makes the thinnest bits, just perfect for garnishing a dish! I love it. I also use an electric skillet 5 or so times a week to poach eggs or to whip up a stir fry. That thing is probably the most versatile item in my kitchen. I replaced the microwave with a toaster oven over a decade back: that toaster oven is the bomb! And I adore my yogurt maker, too. But maybe, just maybe my favorite kitchen gadget (really appliance) is the stainless steel rice cooker/steamer. It makes the most wonderful quinoa and veggies.

If we're being nostalgic, I guess my two faves are the antique French butter curler and the pie crimper.I hardly use them anymore, but keep them because they are cool. Smiley Happy

Truth is I just love to cook. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Conversationalist

Message 6 of 9
After bending too many spoons, I can't live without an ice cream scoop either!
Community Manager

Message 7 of 9

Great topic, @BertyBGone! Would an ice cream scoop be considered a gadget? (Kidding!) Joking aside, at the moment I'd say my favorite gadget is a kitchen scale. It's great for everything from measuring coffee beans for pour-over brewing to helping with basic portion control. It's also great for baking cookies if you want to measure uniform balls of dough for a professional looking result.

Message 8 of 9

Hands down without a doubt    My Microwave Oven!!!!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Conversationalist

What's your favorite kitchen gadget?

Message 9 of 9

After using my salad spinner for what seems like the millionth time, I'm wondering what is your favorite, can't-live-without kitchen gadget?  I don't mean common appliances - like micowave, coffee pot, toaster, blender, etc - but a true gadget such as a special knife, As Seen On TV product, pizza cutter, etc?  I consider things like a George Foreman grill or Veg-O-Matic to be a gadget as well.

Yep, mine is a salad spinner.  It gets more use in my kitchen than almost anything else.