Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: What is your Enneagram type?

Message 1 of 23

Good idea to look back. We don't change types; it's an inborn thing. Writer/piano teacher...not surprising to be a four! 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 23

@VoyagerVicki I can relate to making decisions from the intellect then regretting it later when realizing it wasn't want I really wanted. I try to take more time to weigh things now, and when asked to do something, I always reply, "Let me think about that!" 

My Enneagram friends say that if you look at your childhood/adolescence/teen years to remember what your personality type was then (mine was definitely a 4- I was trying to distinguish myself as a creative, and trying to break away from the values and political opinions of my family), and that is probably your dominant personality now, even if you have worked to change yourself. 

RE: Myers-Briggs- I was always an INFJ, but retaking it today I came out ENFJ! I see that as personal growth for me- not so inward-focused as I have always been. My strongest contrast was 68% Feeling (32% Thinking), so according to what you wrote, I am a strong 4. As a piano teacher and writer I am always thinking about others' needs, so it makes sense. 

Thanks for these interesting convos about personality! Should we all do the Emotional Intelligence quiz next? Smiley Very Happy

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 23

@VoyagerVicki My friends say to think about your adolescent and teen years- -whatever your Enneagram type was then, is probably your dominant type now. I was definitely a 4; trying to distinguish myself as an artist, and differentiate my values and politics from my parents' (that didn't always go over well!) I can relate to making decisions intellectually, then questioning them later when realizing that the decisions were not what I really wanted. That can inconvenience others which I regret! So now if someone asks me to do something or if I am making a personal decision, I just say, "Let me think about that and check my calendar" and I give myself time to weigh it out. 

RE: Myers-Briggs, last time I took it I was INFJ, but retaking it now, I came out ENFJ! I see that as progress, I'm becoming less inward focused, which I see as growth for me. Most of my scores were almost balanced but between Feeler/Thinker I was 68% Feeling, so I guess I am truly a 4. As a piano teacher and writer I am thinking about other poeple's needs constantly. Thanks for this interesting discussion! Should we take the Emotional Intelligence test next? smileyveryy-happy:

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 23

Interesting! After reading your comment I think I am a 4 with a 5 wing as my friends suspected. I am a writer and a musician and while I do love research and tend to spend loads of time alone, I think that my 4 aspect is stronger. My friends also said to look to your childhood- your dominant personality trait then is your purest Enneagram aspect. I was definitely a 4 adolescent and teen. Thanks for your thoughts @LynD193612 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 23

I am an ENFP. But more introverted than I used to be.....I can certainly relate to making decisions with your head and then realizing your heart doesn't want to...

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 23

Hi @UpperHandsPiano,

I'm a 5 wing 4. For years I had a hard time deciding if I was a 5w4 or 4w5 because I see the motivation of both. As I've gotten older, I now realize I'm definitely a 5w4. I think because my 4 wing is strong, it was confusing type clarity. There are some similarities in both types, even though they're different triads (heart-focused 4s and head-focused 5s). Actually a constant struggle of mine is listening to my head or my heart. I make decisions with my head, but often change my mind when I realize I don't really want to do what I decided to do. And both 4s and 5s are often inner-directed and introverts.

I'm curious what your Myers-Briggs type is. I'm an INTJ, but borderline F/T. The Feeler (F) is the 4 energy, and the Thinker (T) is the 5 energy. So, the mix shows up in both systems for me.

Vicki

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 23

I would tend to trust your friend. Usually a personal evaluation is more valid than a test. I am a four. In our, "unredeemed" state, we can be moody and melancholic. Many artists are 4's. Writers, etc. We are a heart type (2,3,4) and desire connection. We do love our environment and images. 

Five's gather information a lot. If there's a meeting, they will come with a three ring binder full of intormation. They are the computer nerds and star wars geeks, as well as many monks in convents. I have a five wing and a three wing. 

Best, Lyn Holley Doucet 

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 23

My friends who teach Enneagram classes believe that I am a 4 with a 5 wing:

Want to express themselves and their individuality, to create and surround themselves with beauty, to maintain certain moods and feelings, to withdraw to protect their self-image, to take care of emotional needs before attending to anything else....

But when I just took the test it predicted that I am a 5 which is more analytical, knowledge-seeking, studious, asocial....

Perhaps we have these tendencies but show up with stronger leanings towards one type or another in response to people and events of the day?

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 23

You are either a nine or a six; not both. Are you a big-time peacemaker? Do you avoid conflict at all cost? Do you procrastinate?  Do you always say, "I don't care where we go to eat, you choose?" Then you are probably a nine. 

A six is a loyalist, it's true. But, if you are a nine, you might be loyal to avoid conflict. Sixes are fearful and often conservative. They often have more reasons why things won't work than why they will. 

Neither the six or nine takes risks, usually. The six doesn't risk because of fear. The nine risk doesn't because of sloth and apathy; it's just too much trouble. Those sound like harsh words, but all types have their shadow. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 23

I had to smile at getting your daughters to take the test; because the two is so, "other-centered," and wants to help everyone. 

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

This AARP gamer plays to get back her art and identity after a health scare. Read Regan C.’s story, available now.

gamer Regan C.

Top Authors