From festivals to better food, amusement parks are adding features for older adults. Take a look at what's new!

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: What is the luckiest thing that has happened to you?

Message 11 of 45

The good lord has definately given me blessings throughout my life. We could not afford college so I joined the NAVY and spent 20 years being a Data Processing Technician. Upon my retirement I contracted with several companies to include Microsoft. I did a contract with a pharmacuetical company out of Knoxville Tennessee (GO VOLS!) and was ultimately hired as their network engineer. Within a year of going full time with Aventis the U.S. Department of State offered me a job and so I joined the Foreign Service and my wife and I have seen most of the world now, as I was hired as a travelling tech. So I achieved what most college graduates could only hope for, and enjoyed it so much. So I retire the last day of this month from the State Department, but will still try to work part time for them as a retiree. I have a good retirement and because of my wife put away the maximum allowed over my whole career with State and have a nice nest egg to help me out with retirement. I've got my eye on an antique 1941 45 foot boat and live on the water which is only like a 45 minute boat ride from my back yard to be into the Atlantic Ocean. I've truly been blessed and I thank my lord daily for my life's path. I've truly been lucky and wanted to express that in this forum.

Thanks,

Tom

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 45
Lovely!
Pattilou
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 45

My senior year of highschool, I won the local Junior Miss contest, which provided me with a college scholarship.  My mother had passed away the previous year and with medical bills to pay and three other children in our family, college would not have been possible for me.  I was the first person in our extended family to attend college.  I did have "an edge" in winning the competition, as it was held on my mother's birthday! I had a special angel looking out for me.   I met my husband (of 40+ years) in college and we have two wonderful daughters.  I went on to earn a professional degree and just retired from a fulfilling career after working for many years .  I have been more than lucky--I am blessed.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 45

Hi  I was in an abusive relationship for ten years

until one day god gave me the chance to change my life I met someone 

that showed me there is another way of life' And it's the best thing that has ever happened to me.

My family has dealings with me now I am a boss at my job after three years which i used to come in and after having a rough night before.

I knew in my heart if I kept pushing and doing the good things for other  people other than myself than one day my life would change. I am so blessed! So for you that read this I know what I am saying you also can change your life and beleive that there is happiness and true family- kids-etc  You just gotta reach for better and NEVER let anyone tell you diferant,

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 45

Nov 10,2010 I was feeling something was wrong with me. I could not speak properly, write my own name or think straight. I decided to go to the nearby free standing radiology unit. The MRI of my brain showed a huge sub-dural hematoma which was compressing the right half of the brain to the point I was having brain herniation. Immediately I went to the hospital across the street, met my neuro surgeon and the surgery was done within 30 minutes. The second day the blood accumulated as the platelets would not adhere due to the combination of fish oil and aspirin taken daily. A second surgery was done. On the third day, I felt much better despite the fact 80% of the blood had accumulated. The surgeon and I agreed to wait it out. On the 5th day it showed a mild regression. Within the next 3 months, it completely disappeared. God did not want me yet. So I started two free clinics for the un and under insured.

During 2016, a small non suspicious lesion was found in my hip. The lesion was already noticed in 2013. This was biopsied and found to be Plasmacytoma. This is a pre malignant condition leading to Multiple Myeloma. I was given choice of wait and see or start chemo therapy. I chose the latter. The treatmnt is ongoing. Hopefully within the next two months, it will all be behind me so I can return to serve the ones who need help.

My wife has recurrent breast cancer X 3. After agressive therapy, surgery, chemo etc, today she is alive and healthy. God has tested us, but blessed us with near total recovery. The power of prayer and deep faith in HIM as brought about peace and tranquility. 

Yes, both of us are retired physicians. This helped us to make the diagnosis much earlier and treat it early.

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 45

So many lucky things in my life. Wonderful grandparents that raised me. Husband, that though he died way too young, provided us  with a home, food and all the things in life that are important. Two healthy children, 1 healthy granddaughter. A good job, that I was fortunate to have for 40 years. Now retired with my own home, good pension, social security and investments, good health, and many volunteer oppertunities. God has certainly blessed me. I think that luck is opportunity, faith and a lot of hard work. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 45

Meeting my Mary, she is the most kind and wonderful person in the world and I would be lost without her. She has brought more joy to my life than I cound ever have thought possible.I thank God every day for bringing her into my life...

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 45

The luckiest thing that has happened to me is my husband. I was a single mother at 38 and never married. Don't get me wrong but I had 3 other proposals. When we me, everything clicked and we were married 4 months later. It's been 13 years and we are still strong. I wouldn't change a thing!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 45

The luckiest thing in my life was meeting my wonderful husband - cross country! We worked for the same company and he came out to supervise an inventory. That was the beginning of a FANTASTIC 40 years together!!!!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 45

Too good to post!

Kudos
Views