With an AARP membership, there’s always more to discover! Check out your member benefits.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: What is the luckiest thing that has happened to you?

Message 31 of 45

After a very bad reaction to a test rx caused permanent effects, my then husband, who had faced too many hardships in his life, ended our marriage, & I was heartbroken.  Within a year or so, though, a very distant, elderly relative passed away, & was generous enough to have left me a piece of his estate.  It was enough for me to make a down payment on a townhouse for my daughter & I.  After living there a few years, I was asked to help with the yearly residential survey, where 2 of us together would go home to home to see that neighbors were abiding by the regulations for the care of the outside of our townhomes.  I was fortunate to be paired with a handsome single father of three, & we hit it right off.  Within a year & a half, we became husband & wife, & have now been very happily married for almost 14 years.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 45

New Years' Eve, I was at a financial low. I went to play bingo with a friend and I won a $1000.00 pot!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 45

I was unfortunately diagnosed with Kidney & Renal failure and not that knowledgable at that time about the situation, I was to have dialis. 

I thought that would be a one time thing......NOT!!!!!

So I decided I would rather not do dialis EVERY OTHER DAY and do my best to try and live a meaninful life.

I was informed that if I did not do my dialis I would live 12-18 months.

That was eight years ago.

Kidneys DO NOT REPAIR THEMSELVES.....MY CREATINS HAVE LOWERED AND I HAVE ALMOST ONE FULL KDNEY FUNCTION.!!!!

WHICH IS GOOD ENOUGH FOR A MEANINGFUL LIFE.

MY NEUPHROLOGIST IS A DR. THAT IS ALWAYS AVAILABLE TO ME AND I BELIEVE BECAUSE WE WORKED TOGETHER, I AM STILL ERE LOVING LIFE.

@AARPTeri wrote:

Ever had some great luck?  Tell us about the luckiest thing you've experienced.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 45

Where to start-- winning five grand in the powerball ranks pretty low, because I missed the $80 million jackpot by only one digit.

Apart from being born, I suppose I could list recovery from a dreaded disease, my marriage to the sweetest girl in the world, the births of three beautiful children, landing a job I love, and looking forward to a very comfortable retirement in just 22 months. What's not to love?

I can't pick out the luckiest thing because I've been truly blessed, despite having some debilitating disabilitles. Nuff said!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 45
Meeting my birth son after being apart for 32 years.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 45

45 years ago, a friend brought his girlfriend around.
I've been married to her for 42 years, with a great family.

As for the friend, we stayed friends. I visited and held his hand 2 days before before ALS took him, 5 moths ago.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 45

When I place an employment ad in the local newspaper and my future wife applied for the job!  The next luckiest thing was when her "current boyfriend" decided to going skiing w/o her over the Thanksgiving weekend - that's when I proposed to her!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 45
Meeting my husband and having my children
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re:When I won a lottery to go to France for 2 weeks

Message 39 of 45

I'm not good at winning things, but in 2000 I won a lottery to go to France for 2 weeks

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 45

At 46, In 2006, I was diagnosed with progressive Spondylilothesis & Osteoporosis. I was told I'd Have 2 have Spine Surgery. In 2012, 3 GW Med Ctr Neurosurgeons told me there was nothing they could do (including manage pain), and I would be Paralyzed. In 2006, i was 4'11". I am now 4'9", and I made a LIAR out of John Hopkins & Other Top Neurosurgeons. Still a Biped.

Kudos
Views