Know someone over 50 who is making a difference? Nominate them for the AARP Purpose Prize. Nominations close March 31!

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: What is something you learned in 2018?

Message 1 of 22

As a full time caregiver, I’ve leaned to be patient, keep a sense of humor and be humble. Life is good.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 22

Dear Teri,

I am hoping to find some role models in the AARP community: learn from them how at their senior years fall in love, and how they walk their journey with their new love.  I don't know what to do with my new relationship!

In January 2017, I bought a house in a coastal town in California.  Three months later, my next door house was for sale, and soon the new neighbor moved in.  As a courtesy, I knocked at the neighbor's door to introduce myself.  It happened that the new neighbor was a single retiree, and would love some company to make day-trips to explore the beaches and trails.   I had been alone and not interested in outdoor activities since my husband died, so it sounded inviting.

That was the beginning of our story.  As one of the AARP Gold Conversationalist wrote, "Man's plans are no match for what God has pre-planed for our lives", I am still in awe how this all started.

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 22

Image result for daily good quotes

This is a very true saying in my life and I thank God it is so!

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: I LEARNED THAT EVEN I HAVE BEEN PAYINING FOR ASSISTED LIVING FOR OVEs something you learned in 2

Message 4 of 22
Wow! I am so sorry for your pain. We simply MUST do better by one another in this country. No excuse for using one another, profiting off one another...sad all the way around. You are in my prayers. I hope you go talk to a lawyer or someone who can help you through that. Sharing how you've been treated in that manner with others is a start to prayerfully putting it to an end. That just should NOT happen!
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 22
I learned that I can plan anything, HOWEVER...Man's plans are no match for what GOD has pre-planned for our lives. Smiley Happy
Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 22

@CeciliaC837811  This is great!  Would love to hear more, where did you meet?

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

I LEARNED THAT EVEN I HAVE BEEN PAYINING FOR ASSISTED LIVING FOR OVEs something you learned in 2018?

Message 7 of 22

I have learned that even though I have been paying for an Assissted Living Insurance for over 25 years when I made the decision to use it I have been denied 3 x. Now my daughters have been working to get me into another program called PACE but I have to be approved by MEDICAID. It sure has not been easy & have used up all of my savings. 

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 22

@mlpdm811:  Congratulations on earning your Master's Degree and "good for you" for studying for your doctorate.  I'm 79 years young and finished my PhD in natural medicine in March.  Isn't it a wonderful feeling to get your degree?  You're an inspiration to people of all ages.  Let us know when we can call you "Doctor Mary".   I'm rooting for you.  "Dr. Iris"

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 22

I passes a certification exam  that required that I learn about taxes for corporations,  estates  and trusts. It was tough information. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 22

I learned that at the age of 70 and older, we could still fall in love.  I am in awe!

If you agree, please share your stories. 

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views