Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What is something you learned in 2018?

Message 11 of 22

I live in a retirement community.  I have learned to ask people first if they want or need help (unless it is VERY obvious they need help).  A lot of the residents still want to maintain their independence and I respect that.  I help when they need it because, who knows, someday that could be me!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 22

It has become obvious that all of the Businesses or Companies that do advertising online and/or via

''pop ups'' do not tell any potential customer the ''TRUTH''. A great example is when you read "you pay only for S&H or similar fees, and the actual cost is inflated to almost double what it shold be.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 22

I turned 70 this year! (It's a bit of a surprise!)  I'm grateful for good health, a few achy spots, but overall DO NOT feel '70'!  I like to be active, get out a lot, and recently joined a very active local chapter of Rotary, where, I've met some really nice folks who have great motives in that they work to support a few special needy charities.  
I do not like the word "retired" as it seems to signify someone sitting on a porch in a rocking chair, which is far from what I do!

What have I learned this year?

I've learned that at this 'age' I have some experience, "Some " seniority, and should perhaps take more advantage of being this age!  Frankly, am a bit shy and apparently, do not look my age and thus, I just mosey along and am grateful to be 'retired' and am able to do what I want, when I want, and now, answer to no one (except my very supportive and a bit younger wife!).  

I relish in the freedom this age gives me, grateful we have the finances to allow us to live relatively comfortably, and (hoping the stock market smartens up!) will continue that way. We travel once in awhile, (recently to Cancun with family for a nice week!).

This past year has been one of reflection and appreciation, as well as GRAATITUDE for what we have and our two healthy children as well as our own good health. 

Perhaps--remembering, as the year comes to an end, that GRATITUDE for what we have is the most important!!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 22

I've learned that I can pushback when others expect me to "fix" things in their lives; it is ok and healthy to offer compassion and understanding without allowing myself to become emotionally or financially entangled in someone else's problems.  If that causes the other person to react negatively, that's ok too, maybe there needs to be some healthy distance in that relationship.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 22

I learned to put God first in my life and second comes my family and then my job. I also learned to appreciate what I am blessed with that came only from my creator our God  in Hebrew (Adonai). I am so blessed that I have a beautiful, loving and a caring precious daughter. After my husband passed in 2015 I was going through a very rugh time in my life. God knows what I need in my life and He provides for me and my daughter. I am blessed for my family and friends Adonai send in to my life who loves me for who I am and not what I have. Have a blessed New Year!

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 22

@mlpdm811 wrote:

It is never to late to learn. I finished my masters in higher education administration (with a 3.86 GPA) in 2018, all online. Now I am going for a doctorate in education. I am 65 years young. It is never too late to achieve your dreams. 

I was married in 2018. It is never too late to fall in love.

Congratulations on obtaining your master's degree. And congratulations on finding love. 2018 has been a blessing for you. May 2019 increase that blessing more and more and more!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 22
Thanks for reminding me not to take my family and friends for granted.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 22

Just how rude & angrey people are because they have no idea how to communicate with people, they see as superior to them (I.e.a Doctor/ nurse, teacher). I met 2 really nice people, who when I first met them they came across as rude, crabby, & uncaring, which was not the case at all. I felt compassion for them as they couldn't get the help they needed due to their words & attitude. Remember to be  kind, you'll get way more help.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 22

People today are not very good at keeping an appointment with you and they do not have the common courtesy to call and let you that they are not coming when they said they would. They are very disrespectful to any one.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 22

It is never to late to learn. I finished my masters in higher education administration (with a 3.86 GPA) in 2018, all online. Now I am going for a doctorate in education. I am 65 years young. It is never too late to achieve your dreams. 

I was married in 2018. It is never too late to fall in love.

Mary
Kudos
Views