From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What does your Church do for older folks & people who live alone?

Message 1 of 5

That's easy.  Not a **bleep** thing.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 5

@Candy3954 wrote:

Actually, two of us sat down with one of our pastors (we have two co-pastors, neither outranks the other) and she told us the church already does plenty for the older folks.  She only gave us 15 minutes before running off to a dinner date with friends.  We will go back to her, and I am going to ask that the church create not only a directory of all the members, but a listing of all the activities, ranked by age group / demograhic, that can be distributed to all members.  When we do approach her again, we will also invite our other pastor, a man, who is only in his early 30s.  It may truly be time for me to take my membership and my support to a new church.  

Good for you for taking a reasonable approach to finding a solution.  I hope that you receive the information you are looking for.  Let us know how things turn out.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 5

Actually, two of us sat down with one of our pastors (we have two co-pastors, neither outranks the other) and she told us the church already does plenty for the older folks.  She only gave us 15 minutes before running off to a dinner date with friends.  We will go back to her, and I am going to ask that the church create not only a directory of all the members, but a listing of all the activities, ranked by age group / demograhic, that can be distributed to all members.  When we do approach her again, we will also invite our other pastor, a man, who is only in his early 30s.  It may truly be time for me to take my membership and my support to a new church.  

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 5

Perhaps it is time to remind your Pastor that the older group of members are the ones who have supported the church all of this time and that he needs to understand and support your cause which is a great one.  If your church cannot be your social support than who?  I would have a long and serious discussion with him and if you cannot reach a mutal conclusion than I would go to his supperiors and ask for assistance.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

What does your Church do for older folks & people who live alone?

Message 5 of 5

I've noticed something at my church and I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered something similar at theirs, and what they've done about it.  

My church, like many, is trying to grow.  To do so, they're seeking out families with children and offering a wide variety of services and activities geared toward them.  The activities they have that are geared toward the rest of us (older and those who live alone, which is not mutually exclusive) are service orieinted.  The church is about that, I get it.  But there is only one activity geared toward single people at my church and it's a single women's ministry.  There is nothing for all the people who live alone to do, such as perhaps a dinner and a movie night, game night, cards night, walk in the park, music, art, etc.  Nothing.  Not even a 'singles' group of men and women who might not necessarily want to date each other but who wouldn't mind getting together and going to a baseball game or something.  It makes me sad, being an older (63 years old) widowed person that my church is pretty much ignoring my demographic.  When I've approached the pastors about it, they tell me it's a great idea and we should do something about it, but 'now isn't the right time' wait until after this or that church event.  Do they now know that loneliness kills?  Do they not realize the church isn't offering much of a support network to those who live alone?  

Seriously, I've been a member of this church for 13 years and I don't feel connected to more than one or two people, and I'm considered a 'leader' in the church.  I'm angry enough to leave my church and find another that does have something to offer those who live alone.  I really would like to find out what others in similar situations have done and see if I can get the pastors on board with any of those ideas before I finally call it quits. 

Thank you for your time!

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season