What does Martin Luther King Day mean to you?

Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What does Martin Luther King Day mean to you?

Message 11 of 17
It reminds us of the injustice that was done, and is still being done to people because of their color. Its good to have a day to remind us of that.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 17

Responding to Voyager Vicki:  Yes, and yes!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 17

Replying to JBoyd:  Wonderful idea! Well, I work hard to remain a Dreamer these days. MLK gave us a roadmap to make the dream come true. I cling to that roadmap these days. God bless him and all who continue his work!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 17

Just attended Convocation in Dalton Theater at Kalamazoo College. The speaker was Dr. Barbara Ransby of the University of Illinois at Chicago. The theme for this year’s celebration in Kalamazoo was “Injustice for One is Injustice for All.” She mentioned some ambivalent feelings she had about this day and in her speech she decided to complicate our view of Dr. King, highlight his unfinished work by reviewing the three pillars of his work and point out the potentials for the future.

She said that the three pillars were opposition to militarism, racism and capitalism. At the end of her speech she quoted an African-American man who spent 43 years in prison for a crime he did not commit. He said that our responsibility is the dream of the future that we want to see and to live in that dream.

After the presentation was over, a man I have seen around wished me a happy MLK day. My thought was that my dream was that in the future we use some more activist greeting for Dr. King’s celebration. Here a few ideas I came up with:

• Greeting: Are you in the struggle/fight? Response: I’m in the struggle/fight.
  • Greeting: Are you a dreamer? Response: I’m d dreamer.

Then I was reminded that many people now respond to the regular greeting: “How are you?” by responding: “I’m living the dream.” This is not merely reserved for Martin Luther King Day but it fits with another dream of mine that we find some way to incorporate of the ideas of this holiday into our everyday lives. We should find a way to keep the dream alive.

Kudos
Views
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 17

Yes, many are celebrating MLK Day including me. Regretfully we don't have enough peacemakers like Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. in this world today to celebrate. Just "Imagine" if we did.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 17

it means a day when certain businesses are closed for what reason I have no idea. do you really think the employees are home celebrating the life of martin luther king?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Retired Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

What does Martin Luther King Day mean to you?

Message 17 of 17

Does his legacy have an impact on your life? Do you do anything special to remember him on this day?

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.