Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: What do you think of your Homeowner Association?

Message 1 of 16

Hello I'm so sorry about what's going on with you, I hope thing's get better for you soon! 🍀🍁🌈😎

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 16
I know now so much I did not then. It was a horrible time, grief, upheaval, so much at once in every direction and no partner to discuss everything with. Now, months later, I am quite a bit more financially savvy and needless to say, this will never happen again. Hoping to just be able to move on, get a fair price based on the many improvements I've made, and start over. Carefully.
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 16

The type of activities that are allowed and prohibited in the common areas of your community should be spelled out in the HOA governing documents.  Of course, it is not possible to anticipate every situation.  In my book, I speak about a Vision and Mission statement.  These documents set forth the over-arching goals of the HOA and provide a foundation upon which decisions can be based, thereby providing consistency and predictability.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 16

A  HOA should be an agent for good.  That is the conceptual basis for creating them in the first place.  Unfortunately many who serve on the Board have no training and no understanding of what these corporations are really for.   

You will not be able to change your HOA unles there is something that brings everyone to the same place conceptually.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 16

@RJB1815 wrote:

I bought my townhouse after my husband recently passed away. I had heard of HOAs but thought they were a good thing in that they monitored noise, parking, litter and so on, as well as maintaining landscaping and grounds. Not the case here at all. We have one of the highest HOA fees in the Denver area and it just went up again- which is against their own bylaws both by the amount and frequency- and there is nothing to show for it. We have a high renter to owner ratio, owners have moved out and sold to investors who now rent the units. Sadly these tennants care nothing for the properties, nor do the investors. The HOA board reports accounts receivables in fees totalling tens of thousands of dollars on the units- nothing is happening. Car are parked everywhere and nothing is done, in reserved areas all the time. Children are never attended and run everywhere. I bought intending to relocate to another state in the Spring, giving myself time to attend to a medical situation before I leave and sell our family home, tend to all the business affairs after a thirty five year marriage and long illness. Now I'm praying I can just get my money back out of this place and get out of town! Beware the miss- managed HOA. 

That’s a big mess.  It can be dealt with but it will take a lot of work by the interested owners. I am sorry. Before buying into a building with an HOA there are critical things to check out.  Reserve fund. Accounts Receivable. Bylaws.  It is not the same as buying a house.  Here in Ohio a bank will not even finance a loan without paperwork review and a standard owner occupancy rate.  

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 16

I bought my townhouse after my husband recently passed away. I had heard of HOAs but thought they were a good thing in that they monitored noise, parking, litter and so on, as well as maintaining landscaping and grounds. Not the case here at all. We have one of the highest HOA fees in the Denver area and it just went up again- which is against their own bylaws both by the amount and frequency- and there is nothing to show for it. We have a high renter to owner ratio, owners have moved out and sold to investors who now rent the units. Sadly these tennants care nothing for the properties, nor do the investors. The HOA board reports accounts receivables in fees totalling tens of thousands of dollars on the units- nothing is happening. Car are parked everywhere and nothing is done, in reserved areas all the time. Children are never attended and run everywhere. I bought intending to relocate to another state in the Spring, giving myself time to attend to a medical situation before I leave and sell our family home, tend to all the business affairs after a thirty five year marriage and long illness. Now I'm praying I can just get my money back out of this place and get out of town! Beware the miss- managed HOA. 

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 16

@fm8110 wrote:

Many of us are living in a community governed by a homeowner association for the first time.  Is this adding to your peace and senerity or is it causing you increased stomash acid?  

I have absolutely no problems my mine.  I live in a large high rise and you need rules!   We have monthly meetings.  If you have issues.. attend one.  If you want changes, run for the board.   If you don't like community rules, don't move into one.   It is not hard!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 16

Hello i think of woodlake and south of woodlake! Dealing with a wedding in a 15 passengers Van in Ellerbe NC!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 16

Have any of you had issues with holiday decorations in your HOA?  Are there rules and regulations that govern when and what you can put up and when it must be taken down? 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 16

You are 100% right.  One of the chapters in my book questions whether the HOA is a good or a bad thing.  It can easily be a bad thing unless everyone in the community works to make it an agent for good.  

As with any organization (including the U.S.A.) the vocal minority will dictate policy and procedures unless the silent majority ceses to be silent.  In a HOA this natural tendency can be effectively blunted if the Board takes steps to keep everyone involved.  Take the "silent" out of the silent majority! 

Communications between the Board and the community is essential to keeping everyone involved and preventing the community from being run (or run over) by the vocal minority.

Communications today is much easier than it was before electronic media.  Many communities provide internet service to each home as part of the HOA fee. The community should have a web site and take steps to drive member traffic to that web site.  Seminars should be held to teach residents how to use the web site and electronic media to stay in touch with their neighbors.  In addition, the web site should be a marketing tool that potential buyers visit when they are considering making a real estate purchase in the community.  This is in everyone's best interest and should be supported by everyone.

Your home is your largest, single investment.  It is one you will eventually sell and you hope that sale will be at a profit.  The HOA should be viewed as part of the fertilizer needed to grow that investment. 

Kudos
Views