Join AARP panelists live Nov. 18 for a free webinar on ride-sharing. Register now to learn more about apps like Uber and Lyft.

Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What do you think of a "boom-mate"?

Message 1 of 4

I've thought about it on occasion.  I've had college-age relatives living in my home from time to time while they were doing "practicums" or had summer jobs or volunteer positions at local research or government-operated facilities.  Of course, they were related and it's not the same as having a total stranger come live in your home.  This was before I became a widow and while a few of my own kids had not yet left for college.

I have first-hand knowledge of the situation, though, having lived next door to an elderly widow who had a married grad student living with her for a couple of years.  The student was a married female whose husband was in the military and stationed overseas.  She was far away from her home of origin and was already involved with her grad studies when her husband received his orders for an overseas assignment.  It was a "word-of-mouth" arrangement and worked quite well for the duration.  The grad student  was frequently busy at the university or in the community and the neighbor was often visiting family out-of-town.  It was a good match for them.  I became very friendly with both of them so that's why I feel confident that it was a good arrangement.

Compatibility is obviously the first consideration and that means compatibility in many areas...hours, noise levels, whether there are pets, meal-sharing arrangements or not, common areas & laundry/kitchen privileges, etc.  A good lease should spell out these issues as well as rental compensation and damage deposit.

The university involved should "vet" both the grad student and the potential "lessor" before any arrangements are undertaken.  This is actually a pretty common practice in some areas...as those of you who've spent much time in college & university towns can attest.

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 4

Maybe. I guess. I can see the possible pitfalls, and also benefits, but it would have to be the right pairing. Compatibility would be key. I might consider this if it were through an agency, but as one who will be an elder orphan --the only question is how soon-- I don't know I'd enter this type of arrangement   without some sort of governance. 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 4

Is Boston or one of its agencies doing background checks - on both sides - and providing extra insurance? If these college students are minors, are their parents being held legally & financially responsible for rent & any possible damage, if the students skip out? Are the organizers offering both sides guidelines for good landlord/tenant behavior?

My personal response would be "no"; I don't need the money, and I'm not that lonely .. I'm already feeding 3 ravenous feral cats, in hopes of trapping/neutering them! I'm sure there could be some very mutually beneficial arrangements , but the stories I've heard of singles who actually have rented rooms  in their too-large houses (not separate apartments), haven't been particularly positive. One friend only once rented to another single woman, and came home one day, to find that the woman had cooked up a storm .. in a kitchen in which she didn't have privileges .. using every pot & pan in the cabinets & making a mess!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

What do you think of a "boom-mate"?

Message 4 of 4

Boston is trying to pair graduate students with empty nesters to rent rooms to help ease the issue with housing shortage.  What do you think? Would you rent a room to a student in your area?

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Replies