Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: What do you consider yourself an expert on?

Message 1 of 13

My expertise, largely due to my Ph.D. in chemistry and 40+ years as a senior research scientist, inventor/co-inventor on many U.S. and foreign patents, developer of commercially succesful products, author of many scientific papers, and an international consultant, involves many areas: chemistry, polymers, nanotechnology, 3D printing, etc. I'm also quite familiar with functional medicine. My knowledge of the latter area is largely due to the influence of a family member who is a Certified Functional Medicine Coach and a Certified Yoga Teacher. I'm also an avid reader in various topic areas; this is another major source of expertise. I've also taught chemistry at the university level and have extensive involvement in promoting science to the public through K-12 STEM programs.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 13

Local marketing for small and home businesses. I am using what I learned co-writing over 17 books and countless radio and TV shows to help local businesses grow. Since I am an SBDC consultant, the services are at no cost to area businesses. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 13
Wonderful!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 13

Being a man of few words, I couldn’t talk 20 minutes about anything.  You’d be surprised how many women are attracted to that trait!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 13

Linux.

I've made a career in desktop computers, starting before IBM sold their first PC. I'm A+ certified, and repair PCs for a Fortune 50 corporation when I'm not teaching Linux (pro bono) at a library or community refurbishing center, or answering Linux questions online.

Are you worried about computer security now that Microsoft is ending Windows 7 support in January? Concerned that your perfectly useful computer won't run Windows 10? Look at Linux; with a $10 USB flash memory drive ('thumb drive') you can start learning Linux, the free ('as in beer') replacement for Windows; and you can try many differerent free versions without removing Windows while you decide if Linux is for you (or if you want to buy Windows 10; if you can use it).

And if you never upgraded from Windows Vista or XP? There are versions of Linux for you, too!

Tags (3)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 13

Medicine---Nutrition especially

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 13
I've often thought that the old saw should be modified a bit: To err and give advice is human; to forgive and keep your mouth shut is divine.
Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 13

Hi @co7256512,

We just started a new Housing forum this month that will likely have some talk about downsizing and decluttering. Check it out--We'd love to have you contribute some of your knowledge!

Vicki

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 13

Getting RID of headaches!

I started having headaches at the age of 11. Menstruation.  It was really bad, pounding, light flashes,nausea.  My Mom gave me Coricidan and 2 aspirin.  It made me sleep, but when I woke up, it was still there,so I'd drop off again and then wake up and it was gone.  So, aspirin put me to sleep, it also hurt my stomach.  

By the time, I got married, my headaches were full blown and aspirin and Pepsi and M & M's were my formula to kill headaches.  Coricidan, I dumped that was for colds.  But, I was taking 4 aspirin for my headaches and it barely put a dent in it, just make me sleep and I put a Icepack on my head as well.

I started researching, because my stomach was in a lot of pain, no headache at that time, so aspirin was NOT the answer.  I found out the pressure of the Earth, low and high causes a lot of headaches.  Mine is low pressure, so if storms come in, your going to get one, maybe mild or super blasting.

So, I found out Homeopathic medicine, in Down to Earth,one day, and decided to try it.  My smallest headache was squashed in a few minutes. What?!  I was so happy.  But then,  a huge storm, like a hurricane was coming and I got the flashing lights, nausea and pounding.  So, I took the pills and not working like the small headache, so I found that works, really well- Hylands- Migraine- and it took it away without sleeping.  For the small headaches- Hylands- Headache- and for sinus headaches-Hylands- Allergy relief (2)and Pulsatilla 20x (4).  Yes, occasionally I do get sinus headaches, pollen in the air.

I later found out my Dad had extreme headaches and sinus headaches,. My Mom had colds. So, it runs in the family as well.  My older brother has sinus headaches only. I have both like my Dad, but not so much sinus.  I noticed when the wind blows really hard, that's when it starts up for sinus, so I avoid those days, or just take Hylands.  

Hylands is a wonderful company, has done research on their medicine for a long time.  It's safe to use and even for children.  So, please if your having problems with headaches, check out homeopathic medicine, it's doesn't harm the body, it heals the body, it goes straight to the problem you have right away!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 13

Adaptive Organization for You, Making Your "Today Home" Your Forever Home"

Living the best you can with what you have. Short version="Creating Your Forever Home."

Raised in a multi-generational household. Many times, we had other family members visiting for extended stays. Some of my immediate family members had physical impediments or learning disabilities. 

As the oldest child of four, I had a lot of responsibility and was daddy's girl--doing things most boys would have been doing around the house. But then again, mom made sure that I knew how to do all the household necessities including cooking.My earliest memory of organizing was around the age of seven or so, mom pulled everything out of a (shared) walkin closet onto a blanket or quilt and told me to put things back up where I could find them.  Later on in life, she told that it was because she got tired of hearing "where is ____________." Mom Marie Kondo'd before Marie was ever born.

Dad started being disabled (got hurt on the job) when I was around nine. He didn't get diability until seven years later. Money was always tight, daddy always paid his bills.  We repurposed everything until it fell apart. You didn't throw away anything if you could help it. You learned to use it for another function if at all possible when you couldn't use it as intended.

I love to watch all those DIY home shows, the organizing shows, the home make-over showes. I've taken organization classes, staging classes, and some interior classes on line.

Bottom line

We are all unique. Each of us have differing needs and abilities. We have different life experiences and have developed coping methods that fill our needs. Even so, our needs change, evolve as our lives and limitations change. Sometimes our styles clash with our housemates, learning to live with each other can be quite a ride.Maybe we could share our coping skills thus helping each other.

There used to be a forum on AARP that dealt with downsizing or decluttering. I was active on it then. When AARP changed its format the old forums disappeared and I went elsewhere to fulfill the need for knowledge concerning said things-- joined new forums, took some classes, did research.

As one of my teachers once said, "It's okay not to know the answers, learning how to find the answeres is the key.".

Kudos
Views