Learn how to spot and avoid common scams with AARP's Fraud Resource Center. Try it today!

Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Re: What do you consider yourself an expert on?

Message 1 of 17

Hi @UpperHandsPiano 

I'm planning on taking piano lessons this fall for the first time and was just getting ready to look for a teacher. Any suggestions on anything I should consider (besides price and location)? This will be the first time I've ever taken any piano lessons. I'm staying in a place for 2 months with a piano, so I thought, the perfect time to begin learning! Then, if I enjoy it, I'll continue on when I return to my main home. I'll definitely check out your website/books.

Any advice for me as I look for a teacher and begin?

Thanks,

Vicki

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 17

I appreciate about the overuse of Hylands. Occasional use only seems to get rid of cramps, which seem to depend on what foods we eat. For example, overeating turkey can do this to me. I have biotin for years and while it can not do anything my lost hair, my nails are in good shape. 

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 17

Hylands for cramps also works very well.  However, after taking it for a year my hair started to break off (not fall out).  So I quit taking it and just treated myself to a glass of tonic water in the evening.  That works almost as well.  Since then Biotin has worked well to get the hair to grow in strong again as well as making fingernails grow fast and strong.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 17

I am an expert in teaching older adults to play piano. I have been teaching piano for 32 years, and in the last 7 years I wrote a series of instructional books entitled, Upper Hands Piano: A Method for Adults 50+ to Spark the Mind, Heart and Soul. I have spent decades researching the ways in which older adults learn and retain musical concepts and skills, and have used that research to make playing the piano as fun and easy as possible. Learning to play the piano is an incredible brain workout, and it's fun and rewarding! https://www.upperhandspiano.com/FRONT COVER BOOK 1 2016 v11.jpg

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 17

My expertise, largely due to my Ph.D. in chemistry and 40+ years as a senior research scientist, inventor/co-inventor on many U.S. and foreign patents, developer of commercially succesful products, author of many scientific papers, and an international consultant, involves many areas: chemistry, polymers, nanotechnology, 3D printing, etc. I'm also quite familiar with functional medicine. My knowledge of the latter area is largely due to the influence of a family member who is a Certified Functional Medicine Coach and a Certified Yoga Teacher. I'm also an avid reader in various topic areas; this is another major source of expertise. I've also taught chemistry at the university level and have extensive involvement in promoting science to the public through K-12 STEM programs.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 17

Local marketing for small and home businesses. I am using what I learned co-writing over 17 books and countless radio and TV shows to help local businesses grow. Since I am an SBDC consultant, the services are at no cost to area businesses. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 17
Wonderful!
Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 17

Being a man of few words, I couldn’t talk 20 minutes about anything.  You’d be surprised how many women are attracted to that trait!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 17

Linux.

I've made a career in desktop computers, starting before IBM sold their first PC. I'm A+ certified, and repair PCs for a Fortune 50 corporation when I'm not teaching Linux (pro bono) at a library or community refurbishing center, or answering Linux questions online.

Are you worried about computer security now that Microsoft is ending Windows 7 support in January? Concerned that your perfectly useful computer won't run Windows 10? Look at Linux; with a $10 USB flash memory drive ('thumb drive') you can start learning Linux, the free ('as in beer') replacement for Windows; and you can try many differerent free versions without removing Windows while you decide if Linux is for you (or if you want to buy Windows 10; if you can use it).

And if you never upgraded from Windows Vista or XP? There are versions of Linux for you, too!

Tags (3)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 17

Medicine---Nutrition especially

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera