Looking for work? The U.S. Census Bureau is hiring more than 500,000 people nationwide. Learn more.

Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: What do you consider yourself an expert on?

Message 11 of 17
I've often thought that the old saw should be modified a bit: To err and give advice is human; to forgive and keep your mouth shut is divine.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 17

Hi @co7256512,

We just started a new Housing forum this month that will likely have some talk about downsizing and decluttering. Check it out--We'd love to have you contribute some of your knowledge!

Vicki

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 17

Getting RID of headaches!

I started having headaches at the age of 11. Menstruation.  It was really bad, pounding, light flashes,nausea.  My Mom gave me Coricidan and 2 aspirin.  It made me sleep, but when I woke up, it was still there,so I'd drop off again and then wake up and it was gone.  So, aspirin put me to sleep, it also hurt my stomach.  

By the time, I got married, my headaches were full blown and aspirin and Pepsi and M & M's were my formula to kill headaches.  Coricidan, I dumped that was for colds.  But, I was taking 4 aspirin for my headaches and it barely put a dent in it, just make me sleep and I put a Icepack on my head as well.

I started researching, because my stomach was in a lot of pain, no headache at that time, so aspirin was NOT the answer.  I found out the pressure of the Earth, low and high causes a lot of headaches.  Mine is low pressure, so if storms come in, your going to get one, maybe mild or super blasting.

So, I found out Homeopathic medicine, in Down to Earth,one day, and decided to try it.  My smallest headache was squashed in a few minutes. What?!  I was so happy.  But then,  a huge storm, like a hurricane was coming and I got the flashing lights, nausea and pounding.  So, I took the pills and not working like the small headache, so I found that works, really well- Hylands- Migraine- and it took it away without sleeping.  For the small headaches- Hylands- Headache- and for sinus headaches-Hylands- Allergy relief (2)and Pulsatilla 20x (4).  Yes, occasionally I do get sinus headaches, pollen in the air.

I later found out my Dad had extreme headaches and sinus headaches,. My Mom had colds. So, it runs in the family as well.  My older brother has sinus headaches only. I have both like my Dad, but not so much sinus.  I noticed when the wind blows really hard, that's when it starts up for sinus, so I avoid those days, or just take Hylands.  

Hylands is a wonderful company, has done research on their medicine for a long time.  It's safe to use and even for children.  So, please if your having problems with headaches, check out homeopathic medicine, it's doesn't harm the body, it heals the body, it goes straight to the problem you have right away!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 17

Adaptive Organization for You, Making Your "Today Home" Your Forever Home"

Living the best you can with what you have. Short version="Creating Your Forever Home."

Raised in a multi-generational household. Many times, we had other family members visiting for extended stays. Some of my immediate family members had physical impediments or learning disabilities. 

As the oldest child of four, I had a lot of responsibility and was daddy's girl--doing things most boys would have been doing around the house. But then again, mom made sure that I knew how to do all the household necessities including cooking.My earliest memory of organizing was around the age of seven or so, mom pulled everything out of a (shared) walkin closet onto a blanket or quilt and told me to put things back up where I could find them.  Later on in life, she told that it was because she got tired of hearing "where is ____________." Mom Marie Kondo'd before Marie was ever born.

Dad started being disabled (got hurt on the job) when I was around nine. He didn't get diability until seven years later. Money was always tight, daddy always paid his bills.  We repurposed everything until it fell apart. You didn't throw away anything if you could help it. You learned to use it for another function if at all possible when you couldn't use it as intended.

I love to watch all those DIY home shows, the organizing shows, the home make-over showes. I've taken organization classes, staging classes, and some interior classes on line.

Bottom line

We are all unique. Each of us have differing needs and abilities. We have different life experiences and have developed coping methods that fill our needs. Even so, our needs change, evolve as our lives and limitations change. Sometimes our styles clash with our housemates, learning to live with each other can be quite a ride.Maybe we could share our coping skills thus helping each other.

There used to be a forum on AARP that dealt with downsizing or decluttering. I was active on it then. When AARP changed its format the old forums disappeared and I went elsewhere to fulfill the need for knowledge concerning said things-- joined new forums, took some classes, did research.

As one of my teachers once said, "It's okay not to know the answers, learning how to find the answeres is the key.".

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 17

I am an expert on giving other people life advice. Especially if they didn't even ask me. My life is on the road to ruin...why should I go there alone? Haha...just teasing.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 17

Saving, budgeting, investing, retirement planning. Personal finance in general. I started in my 20's by reading books and magazine articles and taking notes. It took me several years to really understand risk versus rewards for different fund types or bond types. Wife and I retired on our investments at ages 56 and 54 respectively, so I did a few things right (made some bad calls too).

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

What do you consider yourself an expert on?

Message 17 of 17

What topic(s) do you know really well and could talk about for 20 minutes without prepping?

How did you become knowledgeable on this/these topic(s)?

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors