Tell Congress to stop Rx greed and cut prices now! Here’s how. 

Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What do I still want to accomplish in my life?

Message 21 of 58

I have a short list but all the items on the list are time intensive.

I want &  need to travel.

I want to get involved with my local animal shelter.  I mean get my hands dirty & look at all the administrative aspects too.

I want to learn more Latin.

I want to read more books.

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 58

I'm working on having a stress free retirement!

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 58

Good idea.  Some colleges just charge a minimal amount to seniors who want to audit a class. Or go for the credit if you're working on a degree.  Sounds like fun anyway.  

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 58

I'm kind of adding on to my bucket list since I last responded here. How neat would it be to monitor a class at DU this fall.  The light rail I rode for other reasons makes its stop right on the campus so I'm definitely pursuing this possibility very soon.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 58

I enjoyed reading your response @amcoffiebean.   It is so important to "listen to our inner voice and to our bodies" before we jump into a list of activities we would like to do "someday."  Plunging in sometimes sets the tone and powers a grinding set of "should do's" that remove us from the sheer enjoyment of life and our treasured relationships.  You sound as if you have your priorities in place and you are following your heart.  Sometimes you need to learn to slow down in order to enjoy the life you have left.  There's no real rush...time constraints are artificial deadlines we make for ourselves...rushing sucks the joy out of activities we have planned well and have looked forward to experiencing.  It sounds like you are still right on time!

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 58

Theeres Barbershop.org for singing , and SweetAdelines.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 58

I am so glad you are not doing the "jump right into the bucket" activity agenda. I know many people who do that, and fill every day and night with things to do every day, and sometimes fitting in three or four places to be and things to do. Taking that restful period of relaxation is so good for you.  Now you have the time to really examine how you want to use your well earned retirement time. Find what fullfills you,...  

I myself did the "jump into the bucket type things for a while until some health issues forced me to take the "restful" time. Although I must say that being in pain isn't real restful.. 

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 58

Timely to discover this topic in my AARP newletter this week because I was just thinking this out yesterday.  I retired last summer with a highly anticipated Bucket List of really fun and satisfying things I planned to do when I had the free time to do them.  I've not even started working on the list.  I'm fiding too much enjoyment in not having to be somewhere daily doing something I really don't enjoy. I did not detest my career, but more enjoyed the ability to earn and save money than actually performing my work.  Money guided my career decisions, not chosen ways to spend 40+ hours every week. 

As I have been feeling increasingly guilty for  not jumping right on that Bucket List, I feel the requirement to jump on the Bucket List is as demanding (right now) as getting up and going to work 5 days a week.  

I'm not exactly sitting around in front of a TV all day, or obsessed with the computer, but I am watching a good movie in the afternoon now and then, and depending on the rest of the day that could be with a glass of wine or it could be a glass of iced tea or coffee.  And this week, I plopped into bed around 3PM, opened the windows to a great breeze and read a real book, not Kindle-type.

I am spending as much time as I can with my grandkids who live nearby.  It won't be long before more important parts of their lives limit our time interacting with them as they get older, so brother I am grabbing what I can now!

I am walking and really enjoying it.  I know I must keep the parts oiled and if there is anything on that Bucket List that needs to be #1 it's exercise and healthy eating because I won't be able to do most of my Bucket List if I'm not around or incapacitated. So far the grandkids are helping the exercise part a lot, too! 

It's not all bad just sitting it out for a little while longer after so many years of comittment to a job.

amcoffiebean
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 58

Regarding your neuropathy pain, ask the doctor about alpha lipoic acid supplements.  It stopped the stabbing pain in my feet after about 3 weeks and it's never come back, and the neuropathy is making my feet numb but still no stabs. 

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 58

The only thing I could possibly want is no more pain from neuropathy.  Everything else would be entirely secondary.  It's hard to enjoy things when the ever present pain captures awareness from everything else.

Kudos
Views