Take a look at aging around the world in 'A New Age,' a special report by AARP and Magnum Photos.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: What do I still want to accomplish in my life?

Message 41 of 58

I have a bucket list of places I want to visit around the world. We try to travel as much as possible as finances allow.  

Do what you have dreamt of for so many years, It's our turn to enjoy.  We gave our children a good education and now they are all on there own with their own homes and great jobs, which is rewarding to see.  They love it when we travel and send pictures to them of places seen.  Enjoy your retirement people. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 58

At 56, I would like to start my career. Am I too old to compete? I would like to do data analysis. I teach probability and statistics online part-time but would like to do more. I applied for a grant to collect original data from my students for them to do data analysis and interpretation. Hoping to get the grant! Are their any other late bloomers out there? If so, what were your challenges and successes?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 58
Move back to SW where you have a support group. Family and friends can always visit you. We moved to the South 10 yrs. ago from the North and now have grandkids in NJ, miss them but they come down during the cold in NJ and we go for some holidays and birthdays. Works great for us. Good Luck in any decision you make.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 58

As a military family we've traveled and lived in many countries.  After retirement I taught high school and took students to Europe many times.  Now after this second retirement we are/have been traveling the US, reconnecting with the country.  We feel like we still have a couple of years left in us to travel in our RV, but as I approach 70, and with my wife's troubles with RA and Lupus, we have been looking for a place to settle, buy a home that will accommodate our physical limitations and allow our youngest daughter to help take care of us as we age.  That search which has been our focus for the past few months has been very discouraging.  We're looking in and around Nashville, TN. where three of our four daughters live, but all we find are really old homes or brand new construction most of which do not meet our needs.  We think we could design a home but the "how to" choose a builder and bank escapes us.  But we've a few years yet to completely figure it out, we just wish we could start earlier than panic later.

Once we solve that I'd like to volunteer teach ESL learners, help at my local hospital or church.  I don't know if I will be able to do these things however, as taking care of my wife and her illnesses will perhaps be my primary focus.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 58

I would love to enjoy being retired! I would love to go south, but husband not retired and not a fan of moving at all.. Right now I am lacking the energy to do anything... don't want to waste away.. I should be happy and feel more carefree then I do!! 

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 58

I do feel that it worked out okay, just hard to take up where I left off, after a 15 year absence. I don't seem to want to get as involved in outside interests as I was before making the move.  I would like to revisit the areas in the SW, but no longer have the desire to move back there.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 58

What a terrific goal. Sounds like a very rewarding idea.  Go for it..

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 58

Over the years I have done all the "stuff" that I care about doing.

Now, I just want to be a bright spot in someone's day.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 58

@JoyaDe wrote:

After living in the SW for 15 years of my retirement, I moved back up north to spend more time with family. I miss the friends I made in the group of friends I found down in the SW. My family up here is busy living their own lives. I do see them, spend some time, but don't feel the "friendship" I had with my peer group of other retiree's. 

I'd like to do more traveling now, see more of the world. Maybe by car or RV so I can bring my dogs along. 

Traveling sounds fun.  Sorry your move did not work out well.  Any chance of moving back?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 58

After living in the SW for 15 years of my retirement, I moved back up north to spend more time with family. I miss the friends I made in the group of friends I found down in the SW. My family up here is busy living their own lives. I do see them, spend some time, but don't feel the "friendship" I had with my peer group of other retiree's. 

I'd like to do more traveling now, see more of the world. Maybe by car or RV so I can bring my dogs along. 

Kudos
Views