Watch AARP's Movies for Grownups Awards at 9 p.m. ET on PBS' Great Performances. See A Preview

Silver Conversationalist

Re: What do I still want to accomplish in my life?

Message 41 of 51

Over the years I have done all the "stuff" that I care about doing.

Now, I just want to be a bright spot in someone's day.

Report Inappropriate Content
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 42 of 51

JoyaDe wrote:

After living in the SW for 15 years of my retirement, I moved back up north to spend more time with family. I miss the friends I made in the group of friends I found down in the SW. My family up here is busy living their own lives. I do see them, spend some time, but don't feel the "friendship" I had with my peer group of other retiree's. 

I'd like to do more traveling now, see more of the world. Maybe by car or RV so I can bring my dogs along. 

Traveling sounds fun.  Sorry your move did not work out well.  Any chance of moving back?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 43 of 51

After living in the SW for 15 years of my retirement, I moved back up north to spend more time with family. I miss the friends I made in the group of friends I found down in the SW. My family up here is busy living their own lives. I do see them, spend some time, but don't feel the "friendship" I had with my peer group of other retiree's. 

I'd like to do more traveling now, see more of the world. Maybe by car or RV so I can bring my dogs along. 

Message 44 of 51

Prosecco6247 wrote:

>I don't have family locally any more...my children are all in different big cities across the country as are four of my five brothers.  Older local family have either retired to a warmer state and no longer travel or have joined their predecessors in Heaven.  I envy you who have family close by.  Enjoy their company and benefit from their wisdom while they are still around...you are making good memories!

I support your idea of time for me!  Women are often the helpers, caregiviers, supporters etc.  Time for ourselves is sometimes hard to find but well worth the effort.  All of your activity plans sound great.  There are so many to choose from.  There are all kinds of bus trips available for short trips and senior centers offer outings and get togethers etc.  I hope that you continue to share your stories on what you  do.  

Yes I do know the value of having family close.  My mother came here from Europe after the war to marry my dad whose family were prior war immigrants.  Both lost out on close extended families and were determined to make ours that way.  They pretty much succeeded.  Being the oldest, I may be the first to leave the area if I decide to extend "snowbirding" although I will probably not be the last.  But that does not have to change everything.  I could easily return for our long time events like the film festival and NYC trips and could probably add some that go on in the area I will be in.  But as I am sure you have read before, I spend lots of time on long established get togethers with my sisters and my son.  I do not see that ever changing until health issues begin.  

Message 45 of 51

Short and sweet: I want to continue to grow my senior athlete tribe; want to set or break a world record while continuing to live life on my own terms (which in retirement means becoming a bike trail nomad). I hope to continue to be healthy and plan to continue setting (and reaching) goals for myself for the remainder of my engaged, active life. 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 46 of 51

What a great topic for discussion!  I'm hoping to see some interesting ideas as people join the conversation and discuss their future goals...and isn't it nice that we are all still planning for the future?  That's a quality I think "baby boomers" have in common...the ability to look to the future with optimism and resolve.  So much has changed for seniors of today as opposed to the futures our grandparents and great-grandparents anticipated.  Retirement, for them,  often signaled the commencement of a well-deserved rest and not much else.

I have spent much of my life working and taking care of family, volunteering, caregiving and helping to support four children through college.  Often, it seemed I had little time to think about me...what I wanted or needed was deferred more often than it was not.  I don't say that to mean I have had less than an extraordinary life and that I haven't enjoyed myself along the way.  I've had some great experiences and opportunities and I am grateful for it.

I think, for now, I am concentrating on carving out more time specifically for me and spending more of my disposable income on travel opportunities and the hobbies and crafts I've enjoyed throughout my life.  I put them aside due to lack of time and sometimes, lack of space, with a busy, growing family.  I have already started cutting back on volunteer activities.  I doubt I will give it up completely because it's also a great opportunity for socialization.  Isolation and loneliness are two of the greatest issues facing seniors and it makes sense to create opportunities to interact with people as often as you have the time (and the patience!) for it.  I enjoy plays, concerts and other arts venues and I hope to maintain my schedule of indulging my passion for those activities, possibly adding to it in the future.  I also enjoy going on hikes with my dogs but they are getting older and their abilities are declining so I'd like to do that as frequently now as they would like to accompany me.  I also enjoy going on short "road trips" of a day or two with friends or family and plan to continue this.  I think that's ambitious enough for now.

I don't have family locally any more...my children are all in different big cities across the country as are four of my five brothers.  Older local family have either retired to a warmer state and no longer travel or have joined their predecessors in Heaven.  I envy you who have family close by.  Enjoy their company and benefit from their wisdom while they are still around...you are making good memories!

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Message 47 of 51

retiredtraveler wrote:

I've pushed to spend more time with family. I started a regular board game night where we all bring food, gossip, complain about politics, and eventually get around to playing board games.

We all had jobs, none of them 9-5,  raising kids, etc., so for decades we really didn't get together much outside of holidays and a few birthdays. Now, there is more time and trying to take advantage of that as we're all getting older. I'm fortunate that the family (mostly) gets along, with occasional drama.      

That is a fun idea!!  I know what you mean. My family is all in the same area right now but with work snd kids etc we don't see each other that often although my sisters and I do.  Your idea sounds like a good way to get together and talk more!

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 48 of 51

I've pushed to spend more time with family. I started a regular board game night where we all bring food, gossip, complain about politics, and eventually get around to playing board games.

We all had jobs, none of them 9-5,  raising kids, etc., so for decades we really didn't get together much outside of holidays and a few birthdays. Now, there is more time and trying to take advantage of that as we're all getting older. I'm fortunate that the family (mostly) gets along, with occasional drama.      

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.

Message 49 of 51

Somewhere along the way I read that our society turns us into "human doings", rather than "human beings" .. because we're expected to always be doing something .. not just "being" and enjoying the world around us.

So after I was no longer a caregiver, the only goals I had were to move the the shore area, and become connected down there .. period.

As I got involved with different organizations, I had mini-goals to fix their problems, but that begins to feel like the proverbial "shoveling sh_t against the tide". So I'm kind of backing off that now, and focusing on cultivating my friendships & enjoying myself.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!

Message 50 of 51

nyadrn wrote:

What are you waiting to do?

Retire

Snow Bird

Travel to those places that my work limited vacation time would now allow for

Do more reading

Spend more time with my sisters

You?