Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What are you doing to keep busy during social isolation?

Community Manager
Community Manager

What are you doing to keep busy during social isolation?

Share the things you are doing while so many of us are at home.  Share a photo of you doing this!  Gardening?  Walking?  Puzzles?  What are you doing with more time?

AARPTeri
Conversationalist

I'm planting ....have tubulars to get in the ground and some germinated broccoli and turnips ready to plant.   I live in rural AK and I am pretty much self isolated anyway.  I also have MM so I am really dedicated to my reclusiveness right now. There aren't any " reported " cases on this island yet but I'm sure there will be; people escaping Ketchikan or the lower 48.

It's sunny and.....get this; almost 50 degrees. I opened a couple of windows and I am going to

hang the laundry outdoors tomorrow.  Other than that I'm just keeping up with current events online.

Honored Social Butterfly

Dear @Kath1948,

Just out of curiosity, what is MM?

Conversationalist

Multiple Myeloma..BUT I'm in remission and treatment ends n Oct. It's not curable yet but I am stll shooting for age 102. Crossing my fingers that nothing changes..

Just our age puts us at high risk, so yeah, I'll stay put!

Honored Social Butterfly

Walking and biking a lot more. I'm trying to increase my cardio fitness, so I'm really pushing it these days.   

But I am also stopping and taking a break while biking, when I hit a particularly pretty area, and just sit and enjoy nature for a bit.  Stuff I never had time to do before. 

Honored Social Butterfly

Well, since the last time I posted here, I have been furloughed from my job for the next week.  Yippie!!!!  This is day two of my first week off in ages.  I have been couch-potating it, rest and relaxing, cleaning house, cooking meals, and watching a whole lotta TV and movies.  Of course, I've been online and posting here and there.  And I've been catching up with friends via phone while practicing social distancing.  So, for me, this brief period of social isolation is a-okay with me!  I've only opened my door to get the mail or to catch a breath of fresh air in the early morning.  Gotta go back to work next week.  So I'm gonna make each and every day off count!

Super Contributor

I am teaching my students online! The ones willing to embrace a little technology (Facetime or Skype) have set up their phones/iPads/Laptops next to the piano and we have our lessons as usual. Music is very soothing for both of us, it keeps our brains sharp, and most importantly, it keeps us connected to each other. Every time I see a student I feel uplifted. I just love my students and feel so grateful to be able to teach during this social isolationTiaTiaJimJim

Anonymous
Not applicable

(1 comment) Luv your pictures @UpperHandsPiano . Thanks for sharing with us. Nicole 🙂

@UpperHandsPiano wrote:

I am teaching my students online! The ones willing to embrace a little technology (Facetime or Skype) have set up their phones/iPads/Laptops next to the piano and we have our lessons as usual. Music is very soothing for both of us, it keeps our brains sharp, and most importantly, it keeps us connected to each other. Every time I see a student I feel uplifted. I just love my students and feel so grateful to be able to teach during this social isolationTiaTiaJimJim

Super Contributor

Thanks @Anonymous ! I'm still teaching online now in 2023. By the way, I am offering free video piano classes on Sixty and Me. The introduction was posted today! https://sixtyandme.com/piano-lessons/

Honored Social Butterfly

Well, unfortunately I am one of the many "essential workers" out there who have not been afforded the time or space to practice social isolation.  However, when I do get a full day off  from work, I find myself spring cleaning (i.e. emptying cabinets and drawers, organizing my kitchen pantry and closets, and disinfecting everything) all while binge watching old and new favorite TV shows.

Periodic Contributor

I find cleaning a very meditative practice.  I do a seasonal purging and make donations. 

Being home has allowed me to take early morning walks by the water and enjoy daylight, something I rarely get to do when working. 

MsNYC62
Honored Social Butterfly

Oh, and I forgot...tons and tons of laundry.

Contributor

My husband and I are catching up on the Series that we kinda watched.

I guess we are now binge-watchers

ALSO.

-Write or call a friend that you haven't talked to for a while

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP