There's always more to discover with an AARP membership! Check out your member benefits.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What Can You Do When You Have a Grass Stalker?

Message 1 of 10
@Soosie, I hope for your sake he's gone for the summer. Meanwhile, how does his grass get cut while he's gone? May be a good time to plant those flowers. Cat LOL

N.....I think the guy next door cuts his grass when he is gone He did let this man use his mower to do both yards. I'm not sure he will loan this new stuff. If he is at the beach, perhaps not seeing a lot of grass will help him to withdraw. Hope he doesn't try riding that mower on the beach.

Soosie
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 10

@Soosie, I hope for your sake he's gone for the summer. Meanwhile, how does his grass get cut while he's gone? May be a good time to plant those flowers. Cat LOL

We have a guy who likes to ride his mower up and down the street. I think he is trying to run the gas out of the mower, but at least he doesn't do it on other peoples' lawns. I always wonder what happens if he runs out of gas a block or so away from his house. I've never seen it happen, but there's always a first time. Cat Tongue N.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 10
@Catwoman.........I bet he is drying this stuff and smoking it. I'm not sure they are home today so maybe they have gone to the beach for the summer. The grass will be safe until he is back and going after the leaves.

When this was still just funny to me, before I thought of the possible problems should he get hurt or do damage, I considered getting a large basket of pansies and digging holes across the front of his yard and planting. I like flowers, he does not, he likes to cut grass, I do not. Seems an even swap.

Soosie
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 10

@Soosie, Now that is some weird stuff! I'd LOL, but I think it would bother me as much as it does you. I like the idea of your sign...simple and sweet, no confrontations. Hope it works. Let us know!

Oooh, just thought of this. Does he have a bag on this mower? He may be "harvesting"  after all and then drying it and smoking it. HA HA HA! N.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 10
@DougIvy...........I got a good laugh out of your ideas. He does this while I am at work. None of the other neighbors want to confront him. I have now term'd him the "Undocumented Grass Harvester". I owe Epster for part of this title. He is from Canada and I have not seen papers to determine if he is legal. Since I don't want to approach him, I made a very nice sign with all store bought materials. I did hand paint the grass at the bottom. It reads, "Please keep off the grass." I hope this works. If not, I think I will go through his girlfriend to see if she can help me.

From a neighbor, I learned that she knows he does this and she has just said, "He really likes to cut grass." They usually go to the beach for the summer so I hope that is on this year's agenda. If not, it is back to the drawing board.

Soosie
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 10

This is a strange 'happenstance' to have to deal with, I'm sure.

I think that I would film him, (with phone - if you have one), and make sure he sees me filming him.

I would film him as he 'grass stalked' other lawns also, and make sure he sees me filming him there too.

Then I would consider talking to him and ask him why he was cutting only a portion of the lawns, (if that is what he is doing).

Then I would ask him to not cut my grass, or any part of it, unless he planned to cut the whole yard - for free.

If worse came to worse, I would tell him that I would report him to the cops for vandalizing my yard and see to it that he had to pay to have my lawn properly cut.

If none of that worked, I would probably club him with a rake - or maybe put something in my grass that would break his new mower blade.

I am a nice guy, but . . . 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 10

@Soosie wrote:
@Epster......Your idea is very nice and this is what I know I should chose....BUT I will list reasons I took another direction. 1. I am probably not that nice, 2. I didn't want to face him, 3. I have never met his girlfriend, have only waved to her a few years ago when she was (guess what?) cutting grass, 4. I don't think praising him in anyway will stop him. SO, I made a very nice sign with store bought materials and put it at the edge of the lawn. I even drew in some green grass. I am hoping having it there for a few days will do the trick.

Today, as I drove by him on the mower he was hunched over as he usually is. I looked closely enough to see that he is on his smart phone. Well, that splains why he is mowing down the poor solar lights. Hope he is not two timing his girlfriend, because I think that is wrong.

I like the terms you use to describe this offense.

Soosie

@Soosie Not one thing wrong with your approach. Smiley Happy  Best wishes.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 10
@Epster......Your idea is very nice and this is what I know I should chose....BUT I will list reasons I took another direction. 1. I am probably not that nice, 2. I didn't want to face him, 3. I have never met his girlfriend, have only waved to her a few years ago when she was (guess what?) cutting grass, 4. I don't think praising him in anyway will stop him. SO, I made a very nice sign with store bought materials and put it at the edge of the lawn. I even drew in some green grass. I am hoping having it there for a few days will do the trick.

Today, as I drove by him on the mower he was hunched over as he usually is. I looked closely enough to see that he is on his smart phone. Well, that splains why he is mowing down the poor solar lights. Hope he is not two timing his girlfriend, because I think that is wrong.

I like the terms you use to describe this offense.

Soosie
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 10

@Soosie  Oh dear, I'm pretty certain I'd make a mess of it (being one to jump to the point and forgetting how the world's doors are frequently lubricated with small talk), but my idea is to take a homemade gift (Biscotti? Bagels? A nice tea blend?) over and thank him for his acts of generosity, but that I had to insist that he stop messing with my lawn, for the lawn service has complained a couple of times, and so forth.

This approach assumes he's rational despite his actions. Smiley Happy If he is not rational, um .... hm. Do you live in an HOA? Is there any sort of governing body for your community?

One of our neighbors occasionally drives his backhoe over a corner of our land while the beginning of another's driveway has 'drifted' a couple of feet onto our property. Alas we are without a governing board out here in Boondockville, so if I decide these behaviors must change, it is up to me to make it so. (Which is why I've been looking the other way. WWIII should start over something more important. Or so I think. Smiley Happy)

PS Is this grass stalking or unauthorized grass harvesting? Grass poaching?

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

What Can You Do When You Have a Grass Stalker?

Message 10 of 10

I realize this is an odd question, but I am facing an unusual situation.  A man on my street got new cutting equipment for Christmas.  He is not satisfied with cutting his lawn two times per week, so he is running through neighborhood yards and makes a few cuts.

At first, I only found this funny, even though irritating.  Now I have learned that he damaged a neighbor's solar lights and they had to replace all of them.

He is like "There is some grass, budin, budin."  This is the sound I think a riding mower might make.

This weekend I am buying a nice sign that says, "Please keep off the grass."  I have a nice young man who cuts my grass and this actually makes it harder for him.  I don't know what I will do if the young man should quit.

On the serious side, should he damage something or worse yet get hurt, I know I am in for a big bill  I would like for the street to stay peaceful, but I can't quit work to say home to monitor my grass.

Soosie

Kudos
Views
Replies