Learn how to spot and avoid common scams with AARP's Fraud Resource Center. Try it today!

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What Are You Looking Forward to This Year?

Message 1 of 9

@retiredtraveler - A new post here resulted in re-reading your post of mid-April! I wish that systems being on line did make everything easier .. but sometimes it doesn't! When I began to file for Medicare, it asks if you're retired & the date you stopped working. Then it asks if you're currently covered with medical insurance thru your current employer or a spouse. So if you're retired, but are covered under your former employer, there's no way to enter that! And you can't say it's your current employer, because you've entered a date you stopped working! I had to call them, and they said they're "trying to get the website fixed", had me enter wrong information, then explain it in a free-form field on the next screen!

I've been paying taxes so they know my age since 1973 .. but it takes them 2+ months now to verify that I'll be 65 in August, and that I'm entitled to Medicare?!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 9
The end. Of the year, that is. Then, only one more 'til I retire.
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 9

"...I'll be turning 65 at the end of the summer .. meaning starting to collect my pension, and changing over to Medicare .. ugh to the bureaucracy! I retired at 50, so I have a lot of practice at being retired, and used to the medical coverage I have now....".

Yup!  At least we can do most things online now and not have to be on hold for 30 minutes trying to deal with customer service. Medicare sign-up and supplement was far simpler than I expected (after posting a couple of questions on this forum). I assume your pension sign-up will be simple too.

In my area, and I suspect yours, there is no problem with getting docs that accept Medicare. I know that's an issue in some areas. Getting off that private insurance dropped my expenses a great deal --- DW goes on at end of year.....

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 9

Travel, definitely a lot of initial garden prep, always have an annual house project (not looking forward to that!), and more family gatherings, although there is a lot of that over the holidays.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 9

Oh man, I'm looking forward to homegrown fruit. Many of our fruit trees are blossoming; the grapes have wee nubs that promise to become growth, and the greenhouse is beginning to tease us with an occasional strawberry, but... I really cannot wait for those honey crisp apples or white peaches. 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 9

I had a big home repair job in 2015, and remodeled a bathroom last fall, so this year will hopefully just saving up for the next big project/purchase .. like a car, when I need it.

I'm not sure I'm "looking forward to" it, but I'll be turning 65 at the end of the summer .. meaning starting to collect my pension, and changing over to Medicare .. ugh to the bureaucracy! I retired at 50, so I have a lot of practice at being retired, and used to the medical coverage I have now.

I'm looking forward to seeing a bunch of shows, between now & the end of the summer, but that's not one major thing.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 9

We have a famly reunion every year. Each year the location changes and this year we go to Washington state.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 9

All the signs of spring have finally arrived here in Ohio.  New flowers coming up and blossoms on the trees and the robins are back...  all the positive signs that another year is here. 

This morning I got another one of those shares from a friend in FB about living like there was no tomorrow.  So I was thinking that we all have things that we look forward to without even thinking about it.  Life isn't all about the big things, although they are great.  But there are little things too.  There is starting a new book to read, putting a chair out on the balcony to enjoy spring coming. there is traveling, there is the film festival with my sisters and Easter with the family and planning the holidays, etc etc etc.  Lots of things that make us look forward to another year.  

What are some of yours?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

What Are You Looking Forward to This Year?

Message 9 of 9

Amazingly, it is Easter weekend.  We are already past one quarter into this year.  

So I started thinking about the monthis to come and I wondered what you were looking forward to doing with this year.

Travel

Remodeling?

Relocating?

Retiring?

Family get togethers?

New family additions?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera