Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Trading in cars

Message 11 of 13

I guess we are not car people. We buy something utilitarian, keep it 12-17 years, order a new one from the factory, pay cash, repeat.

We get a lot for our money this way, but ego feeding (trading in a newish car for a new car) has never been reason to buy a vehicle in this family of pennypinching weirdos. Smiley Wink 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Trading in cars

Message 12 of 13

@j730931t - My current car is a 2005 Toyota Camry .. so it's 12 years old. It's my 3rd Camry & 4th Toyota. When I was working, I'd put 200K miles on them, before trading them in. I could never see the point in trading cars in that often, when they were running well, and needed no major repairs.

It's time for all adults to take responsibility for their own actions & beliefs, and not think they've been victimized, because they bought into a sales pitch.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Trading in cars

Message 13 of 13

I think the whole belief in having to trade your car in every few years to avoid or capitalize on some phantom loss, is a great deal for automakers and lenders, but not that great for consumers.  I like seeing some automakers try to make their cars last a long time, and also like seeing them sell guaranteed/certified pre-owned cars.  Using a good, maintained car for 10 or 15 years, with a decade of no car payment is a way to escape the financial hamster wheel a bit (and yes, sometimes you pay for a repair- but if you pay $600 2x a year instead of 12, it's all good!) 

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season