Eye scans and gene editing are among the new frontiers in Alzheimer’s research! Learn more in AARP’s report on medical breakthroughs.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Trading in cars

Message 1 of 13
I agree! A study like that would be sooo interesting!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 13

I'm with g28834s ...I love cars. I've always been interested in them; even more than my late husband who worked in the car business. I like Chevys now and drive a 2013 Cruze. When I'm finished with the payments, I'll most likely go and buy another one. No leases for me. My husband said I'd probably always have a car payment because I like new cars. 

I do my homework before I go and get a thrill and feel like I've accomplished something when I go in with my printouts, etc., and drive a new car off the lot. They just don't expect an older woman who comes in alone to know some of the dealership lingo. Cat LOL It's almost like a challenge to me...the thrill of the game.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 13

"...FWIW, many millenials (and even some older) are going carless around here. Public transportation, uber, and car shares like Zip Car are everywhere....".  

Yes. I'm seeing that with nieces and nephews who live and work in larger cities like Chicago and New York. 

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 13

FWIW, many millenials (and even some older) are going carless around here. Public transportation, uber, and car shares like Zip Car are everywhere.    That's even better if you can swing it.   

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 13

"...It would be interesting to compare costs over a 30 year period, between people who've traded cars in often like that .. and people who've kept their cars 8+ years & had the necessary maintenance done .. for the same model cars!...".

We all know the numbers for people who traded in made the continuous trade-in more costly.

The whole thing about cars, these days, as I would think everyone knows, is that they will last a long time wsith minimal maintenance. Most of us are of 'an age' when cars would badly rust, exhaust systems only lasted a few years before rusting through, tune ups were needed annually, carburetors were finicky, a bad winter would damage transmissions, cooling systems rusted through after five years, etc. I recall, decades ago, the #1 reason for cars breaking down on the road were belts that broke. Now, everything on the car is improved (although some of us don't like all the electronics).    

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 13

@g28834s  I like your attitude. Smiley Happy Your 66 trip sounds like a blast and I wish you every joy.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 13

In the past 14 years, I've gone through six cars (I'm on my 7th now). Not because of fear of breaking down, or having broke down...I like cars, and I like to drive. I like small, fast hatchbacks (I had a Mustang convertible a few years ago, and swore I'd never buy another). But my current car, I've decided to keep. I'm 18 months away from retirement; I had grand ideas for maybe getting a motorhome or high-roof van, and traveling the country for a spell. Or maybe touring the country on another motorcycle. Or living in a tent & bebopping around on BLM land, chasing UFOs.

Reality has set in, though. My son & daughter in law both work (and commute out of town), and I volunteered to take care of my three grandsons (ages 8, 11, 14) in exchange for room & board. I've been religiously socking money away and paying extra on my *very manageable* car note. So, I reckon I'll keep this'n until I run it into the ground or vice-versa. But, before I assume duties as major domo, I'll have me one last grand tour...the complete Route 66 from begining to end, and maybe throw in the Pacific Coast Highway.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 13

Count me as one who got worried about breaking down on the side of the road.   Smiley Happy    I keep my cars about 8 years.  And it does come, in part, from a history of buying used cars and from breaking down....a lot. Pre-cell phone days, especially.  And I'm super-fastidious about car maintenance.   

The other part is safety and environmental advancements.  I put my kids in as safe a car as I can afford.  Three are grown now, but the last one will get to drive my current car when he turns 16.  So I bought it with that in mind.   Very safe (Subaru with Eyesight), not powerful (4 cylinder engine), and pretty boring.   Smiley Very Happy  

FWIW, I did get stranded by the last two Hondas I had owned.  Both had the alternators go bad around 6 years old (vastly different mileage).  And then the Takata air bag recall did it for me, with respect to Hondas.   So far the Subaru has been great.   And while I don't mind getting stranded if it's just me, I have been a kid chauffeur for so many flipping years now, it feels like all I do.   I absolutely don't want to break down with kids (especially those who don't belong to me) in the car. 

Definitely not about appearances.   There seem to be two camps here in the DC area.   The people who buy a Toyota (usually Prius) and run them into the ground.  And the people who buy super high-end Teslas, Maseratis, Porches, and Mercedes SUVs.   I greatly admire the Prius people.  I wish I could be more like them. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 13

@retiredtraveler - Maybe those people were buying the wrong cars, if they had such a traumatic experience, leaving them with an inordinate fear of being stranded! I've been driving Toyota Camrys since the early 1990s, and have never been stranded anywhere.

It would be interesting to compare costs over a 30 year period, between people who've traded cars in often like that .. and people who've kept their cars 8+ years & had the necessary maintenance done .. for the same model cars!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 13

Purely anecdotal, but the handful of people I have known that would only keep a car a few years and trade it wasn't about keeping up appearances. They all just didn't want to deal with car repairs in any way. They were paying (dearly) for the privilege of not having to do anything more than oil changes. A couple of people I recall had some inordinate fear of being stranded on the road and figured new cars had little chance of doing that do them.  

Kudos
Views