Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families was developed by AARP to help make the job more manageable. Here’s how to obtain a free copy.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: To all crocheters out there! Crafts

Message 1 of 10

I didn't notice anyone mention ravelry.com or pinterest.com. There are all kinds of patterns there. They are my primary go to websites when looking for patterns. Hope this helps everyone.

Jean in NC

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 10

I sometimes enjoy both crochet and knitting, although I prefer crochet.  My mother was an expert and loved to make baby things.  We never had to purchase a gift for anyone's baby shower and I still have some of her work that she gave to me for gifts and I kept instead.  For a while she sold her work at a gift shop, but I think she liked giving it away instead.

For me, I keep it pretty simple and mainly do things with variations on granny squares.  I've had fun doing some jackets using granny squares with patterns that I made up myself.  Knowing how to crochet came in very handy during the time when I was trying to stop smoking as it gave me something to do with my hands.

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 10

@gatorgorilla, @cv7307, As some of you know, I design and crochet doll dress sets mostly for artist dolls and list them on Ebay. I used to be able to follow a pattern back when I was young. I made all kinds of things with regular yarn. Now I freestyle it as I'm designing and crocheting the little clothes with a #10 thread.  Cat Happy

I do love to crochet, but now that I have the business going, I don't have time to make other things for friends like I used to.  Nancy

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 10

I could post something crafty everyday, as long as it wouldn't bore anyone. I am constantly making things. Its how I stay sane.  Smiley Happy  I have never watched Call the Midwife, I guess since I made the blanket I probably should watch the show. I found the pattern on youtube and fell in love with it.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 10

Those are beautiful baby blankets & you obviously have a strong interest in crocheting, as well as talented hands.  Smiley Happy

I have never tried to learn either crocheting or knitting.  (Tried embroidery with some success, many years ago.)  My mom loved to crochet during her younger years, but could never explain to me why she preferred crocheting over knitting.  I think crocheting was a long-standing family tradition, so maybe that had something to do with her preference.  I think she also enjoyed the appearance of the "dainty" crocheted items.

Crafters haven't garnered a lot of activity here at AARP recently, it seems to me, so good luck on getting some responses.  It would be great to hear from more crafters - I love to read about the creative process and would probably read any discussions that occurred...

If you happen to enjoy the PBS series, "Call The Midwife", you might want to participate in discussion at TV Talk.  There are avid fans posting each week, examining all aspects of the latest episode.    Pam

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 10

Oh, how happy I am to have found this post! I love, love, love to crochet! I make many things and also go to pinterest and youtube for tutorials and inspiration. I have made many things for my home, friends, grandchildren and even sold a few items. This is one of my passions. I learned as a child didn't much care for it and picked it back up when I was around 40. Go figure. Here are a couple baby blankets I just finished. They were inspired from the BBC show " Call the Midwife"

12932890_1371098736248900_7970185562808343049_n.jpg

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 10

Hi,

I usually check either Pinterest or YouTube for new patterns. Here is a great tutorial for round crochet table cloths.

https://youtu.be/XQJMyOQhcXc

Kudos
Views
hr2
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 10
crochet

Beautiful pic. I too am returning to crocheting.Right now am makeing some blankets for the homeless folks. Try to get to a local store that sells crochet things and see if they can help you. I am enjoying crocheting very much. I need something to do with my hands while looking at the TV in the morning.Taking stitches works for me.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 10

That is a beauiful sofa cover that you posted.  I have no idea about the pattern but wonder if you are on Facebook.  There are several crochet groups there and I've seen some interesting patterns posted.  If you haven't already, you might check that out.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

To all crocheters out there! Crafts

Message 10 of 10

To all crocheters out there!    

This is one of the items on my list----not a bucket list, but my new lease on life accomplishments list. I haven't crocheted since I was in my twenties. I would love get back into crocheting. I came across this picture about a year ago and just found it again. I cannot for the life of me even begin to even know how to crochet this sofa cover.  Please, may ask for your expertise in figuring out the pattern and posting the pattern of the crochet sofa cover as an attachment to your reply.sofa head cover.jpgI would really appreciate any and all assistance you can give me.  Happy holidays to all!

Question to all:   What is on your list you want to check off?      Woman Happy

Tags (3)
Kudos
Views
Replies