Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: The Invisibility of Being Old, Disabled or Both

Message 1 of 4

@WebWiseWoman wrote:

While I appreciate the Author's article and Ms Root's experience, I've found from personal experience sometimes

our own attitude reflects the responses we receive.

Now working at a MAJOR fulfillment center, and throughout my daily experiences (laundry, grocery), I remind myself to smile and I would estimate 90% smile back and offer assistance when appropriate.

Just saying I haven't received different or negative interaction regarding my aging and disabilities.

I have, however, been offended by some people in my own categories negative attitudes.

#VegasStrong

Hi. The whole purpose of posting these topics is to get conversations going and I appreciate your comments.  I have no doubt that you are correct in that different people have different experiences.  

I work full full time at a very large corporation with many younger workers.  I don’t feel like I have ever experienced bad treatment at work or in general. I would wish that no one would but I am also sure that many do.  

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 4

While I appreciate the Author's article and Ms Root's experience, I've found from personal experience sometimes our own attitude reflects the responses we receive.

Now working at a MAJOR fulfillment center, and throughout my daily experiences (laundry, grocery), I remind myself to smile and I would estimate 90% smile back and offer assistance when appropriate.

Just saying I haven't received different or negative interaction regarding my aging and disabilities.

I have, however, been offended by some people in my own categories negative attitudes.

#VegasStrong

Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 4

@nyadrn wrote:
The Invisibility of Being Old, Disabled

“People looked over her, around her, through her. They withdrew,” Bruni wrote.

https://www.nextavenue.org/invisibility-old-disabled/

This is sad commentary on the worldview of older citizens.  You won’t appreciate the issue till you are older 😢

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

The Invisibility of Being Old, Disabled or Both

Message 4 of 4
The Invisibility of Being Old, Disabled or Both

When you’re an older person who uses a wheelchair or walks with a cane, people treat you differently. Sure, some might be quicker to open doors for you, but most of the behavioral reactions aren’t positive ones. The combination of being old and disabled causes what many refer to as “invisibility.”

Frank Bruni, an op-ed columnist for The New York Times, explored this idea in a recent columnthrough the lens of 82-year-old Nancy Root, a woman with post-polio syndrome Bruni met while giving a lecture on a cruise. Root taught Bruni how it felt to be seen as invisible because of her age and perceived ability.

“People looked over her, around her, through her. They withdrew,” Bruni wrote.

https://www.nextavenue.org/invisibility-old-disabled/

Kudos
Views
Replies