From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Tell us about someone or something you miss from your childhood.

Message 31 of 55

I miss living in a neighborhood where all your neighbors shared and helped one another out. Where parents shared in everyday activities and where all the kids in the neighborhood hung out. There was no internet or other social media like there is today. Kids actually used imagination when playing. 

On a personal note, I miss my Miss Beasley doll. I took her everywhere I went. We took a train to California 2 summers in a row and she went with me. She was my "American Girl" doll of today. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 55

I loved everything about my childhood! As an only child it was awesome to have so many friends . I loved hide and seek until dark---had to be home when the street lights came on😳. I miss roller skating (ones with the key) and Biking 🚴🏽‍♀️, and 🛴 and tennis. It was a safe, fun time. 👏👍

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 55

My Thumbelina Doll. Not sure how old i was, but i remember the stuffing was coming out (doll had a lot of wear & tear) & my mother asked if i wanted it thown out. Apparently i said yes. I did find a Thumbelina similar to mine at a flea market, & bought it for $20. It was old looking & worn out. Thumbelina came back out in the 80's & although it wasn't the same doll i had, i bought one for my niece. I don't think she still has it.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 55

I miss going to Harry's candy store on the corner of my block. It was great having that store there. Also, having my best friend Barbara living two floors down from me, because I had two brothers so it was great having a girl friend. Living not far from the park and not being afraid to walk there, because you felt safe that nothing was going to happen to you. Then when we moved we lived near the Bronx Zoo, so we could walk to the zoo on the one day it was free. I don't think they have that anymore. Even though we've traveled to many zoos in the USA, I still think the Bronx Zoo is the best zoo. The biggest thing I miss though is my Mom, even though she died over 35 years ago. Even though I wasn't a child I think of her as Mother's Day is this Sunday.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 55

I miss having all those friends in the neighborhood as a child, it was so much easier as a kid to make friends. Having all that fun getting together and just hanging out until it was time to go home. I had friends who were different color than me, but it didn't matter. Today it's not that easy to make friends with someone of a different race, people have lost a lot of trust of each other in this country in the last couple of years. I find that sad, I hope changes.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 55

I miss my grandmom. She was my "bestest" friend and passed away when I was five.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 55

I miss my momma; she's been gone 11 years and it seems like yesterday.  I miss the family getting together for holidays and reunions. Everybody is so wide spread now and so busy, it's not as easy to get together as often or spur of the moment.  I miss the neighborhood, where everybody knew everybody and you could depend on help when needed.  I miss being able to let children play outside without the worry of them going missing or being molested. I miss a time when even though there was prejudice, there were still good people who could put prejudice aside and give help when it was needed.  I miss a time when the world could think of others and not just themselves; a time when money wasn't everything.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 55

I miss unlocked doors and open windows at night. I miss leaving my bike outside and not worrying about it. I miss TV shows like Ozzie and Harriet, Leave It To Beaver, Andy Griffith, and the cleancut variety shows. I miss my neighborhood friends playing all hours of the day and night until someone's mother would ring a bell or yell that dinner was on the table. That signaled that most of us would go home as well. Until the next day! It was definitely a different world that we grew up in. A good world.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 55

I miss drinking cold water from the hose and not having a care in the world.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 55

I miss the special times my family and I had with our grandparents. The carefree style I had as a kid. Eating watermelons with my cousins on our hay rack. I miss living on our family farm. Most of all I miss my Dad and Mom.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera