Take control of your brain health with Staying Sharp! Try it today.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Tell us about someone or something you miss from your childhood.

Message 51 of 55

The feeling of being safe in my own neighborhood. An active neighborhood where neighbors actually waved instead of avoiding eye contact, and being able to play outside without a worry of predators. Parades! Innocent cartoons such as Yogi Bear, Flintstones, and Popeye! My siblings, even though we are still in constant contact, just all of us being young again. When gathering with friends and family was a pleasure and not a hassle. A slower time altogether. The smell of the Florida beaches (I now live in Arizona). My list is endless. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 52 of 55

The hope of a better life. Or as Judy Collins said,

"I've seen life from both sides now. From win and lose, and still somehow,

It's life's illusions I recall. I still don't know life at all.".

It's easier to cope (with not knowing) if you have hope.

But, without hope, life's beyond your scope.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 53 of 55

@AARPTeri wrote:

I used to love playing games outside with neighborhood kids, I rarely see that anymore.  We used to play many forms of tag, kickball, baserunner, red rover, etc...  

@AARPTeri We did too! Until late in the evening we'd be out playing hide and seek, or kick the can or something.

Both my parents are dead, but I grew up away from them and so don't miss them.

I do miss my neighbor from the reservation. He lived alone, I lived alone and we adopted one another. I called him Grandpa (I was 15; he was 65). His devotion to and protection of me infused value. He taught me to gather basket weaving materials, how to set a fishing net, how to harvest eel, how to hunt and how to drive.

He was incredibly wise about most things --particularly the natural world-- however he had one dumb habit and that was that he always bought the National Enquirer. Good golly if he didn't actually believe all those silly stories! We'd sit out on his porch and he'd recite stories about the half bat/half human baby or the latest flying saucer saga. We'd argue good-naturedly for hours. Maybe that was his way of teaching me to reason.

How I loved that man and his quirks! He died shortly after I left the reservation for college. I owe so much to him and still miss him dearly.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 54 of 55

There are so many things & people I miss, I don't know where I'd even start! My great-uncle lived with us, and although he worked, I remember him playing with me when I was little. He was patient & would make strings of leaves for me, then we'd "chop them up" into pretend goulash (and we weren't even Hungarian Smiley Happy) He'd had a hard life & wasn't very healthy, but he was my buddy!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

Tell us about someone or something you miss from your childhood.

Message 55 of 55

I used to love playing games outside with neighborhood kids, I rarely see that anymore.  We used to play many forms of tag, kickball, baserunner, red rover, etc...  

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Replies