Take control of your brain health with Staying Sharp! Try it today.

Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Tell us about someone or something you miss from your childhood.

Message 1 of 55

The only thing I really miss from my childhood is Great Shakes. This powdered stuff you mixed with milk in a plastic mini-Martini shaker, shook the snot out of it, & made a "milkshake". Well, that, and un-edited Bugs Bunny cartoons.

My needs are simple; my wants, few.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 55
The gift of time given to many of us by parents and family was absolutely precious!
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 55

No Doubt... I miss watching my parents as they navigated through the good and the bad over the years in such a loving way that even as a young child, I knew they weren't your average bears!

For example: My Dad whittling a piece of willow into a doubled flute explaining how to whittle it, bend it to produce different pitches then teaching me to play it.  All of which was my mom's idea when they both picked me up to sit on the couch after dinner.  Of course, this wasn't a one-nighter... these were things we did which required time, patience, thought, caution, devotion done in comfort, mindful safety, learning from each other open communication, mental acuity, but most important of all, the pleasure derrived from the experience and recognition of heartfelt love... truly One of God's blessings.

Ever so Gratefull.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 55

I miss being able to get all my friends together & be out all day riding bikes or just hanging out. We were raised in the country so we had all the room we could ask for & back then our parents didn't have to worry about anybody bothering us. It was safe, it was fun & yes, we were young & thought it was boring sometimes. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 55

I miss all my friends that I grew up, with.  We were always outside playing.  We'd go bike riding, swimming in our pools, play flashlight tag, kick the can, red light, green light, camp in our backyards.  Life was less complicated then it is today.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 55

I miss those clean lakes with sandy floors---so good for swimming.  My mother used to take my cousins and me to Boyd's Lake where the water was so clear you could see all the way to the bottom, even in the deep water by the diving platform.  That's where I learned to swim.  Wonderful, clean, clear water.  That's a novelty nowadays.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: My 10 Acres of Memories

Message 7 of 55

I miss my grandparents and all of the family activities from those long gone days : )

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: My 10 Acres of Memories

Message 8 of 55

@pg430277 wrote:

~~~~~

This poem was actually published in the Winter / Spring "The GNU" 2012. This was the Literary Journal for National University in Los Angeles, California. 

I must apologize for the fact that the stanzas are a bit messed up because I typed this on my Samsung cellphone.  I hope you enjoy my memories of my favorite childhood place.

Thank you for your post   it was lovely.  We lived in the city but my grand parents lived in the country and it reminds me of their property although it was far from 10 acres!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 55

I miss a history teacher in high school.  I think about her a lot.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

My 10 Acres of Memories

Message 10 of 55

It's the 4th and 5th grade spent in a 4 room farm community school house: It's the bus ride and being the 1st on the bus and the last one off; It's the piece of land that we dubbed "The Ten Acres" ~ the land my folks purchased before WWII in Central Illinois for  $500! Here's a poem I wrote titled "Ten Acres of Memories" about this childhood memory.

I remember....

I remember 10 Acres of

sugar maples, crimson red-orange in the autumn sun,

sturdy oak trees climbing into the cobalt blue sky,

elm trees crowning their glory in a pot of gold.

All fill the forest floor with their splendor.

I remember 10 Acres of

blackberry vines full of thorns which grab at you

as you stretch for their succulent fruit to be made into,

jams, jellies, and preserves 

soon to grace the morning table.

I remember 10 Acres of

seemingly never-ending expanse extending

2000 feet in all directions from center.

I remember....

Dashing to meet the 7 AM bus

as its horn bellows in the distance,

the dusty grey road on the other side if the fence.

I remember 10 Acres of

harvest gardens

with six foot corn stalks rattling in the harsh autumn wind.

Burnt orange pumpkins growing huge

readying themselves for the Thanksgiving feast.

Bright ruby-red tomatoes struggling 

for their last hurrah before the first hard freeze.

I remember. ...

I remember these things that have come to pass;

I remember fondly, these heart-warming experiences;

I remember....

~~~~~

This poem was actually published in the Winter / Spring "The GNU" 2012. This was the Literary Journal for National University in Los Angeles, California. 

I must apologize for the fact that the stanzas are a bit messed up because I typed this on my Samsung cellphone.  I hope you enjoy my memories of my favorite childhood place.

Tags (3)
Kudos
Views