Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

My 10 Acres of Memories

Message 11 of 55

It's the 4th and 5th grade spent in a 4 room farm community school house: It's the bus ride and being the 1st on the bus and the last one off; It's the piece of land that we dubbed "The Ten Acres" ~ the land my folks purchased before WWII in Central Illinois for  $500! Here's a poem I wrote titled "Ten Acres of Memories" about this childhood memory.

I remember....

I remember 10 Acres of

sugar maples, crimson red-orange in the autumn sun,

sturdy oak trees climbing into the cobalt blue sky,

elm trees crowning their glory in a pot of gold.

All fill the forest floor with their splendor.

I remember 10 Acres of

blackberry vines full of thorns which grab at you

as you stretch for their succulent fruit to be made into,

jams, jellies, and preserves 

soon to grace the morning table.

I remember 10 Acres of

seemingly never-ending expanse extending

2000 feet in all directions from center.

I remember....

Dashing to meet the 7 AM bus

as its horn bellows in the distance,

the dusty grey road on the other side if the fence.

I remember 10 Acres of

harvest gardens

with six foot corn stalks rattling in the harsh autumn wind.

Burnt orange pumpkins growing huge

readying themselves for the Thanksgiving feast.

Bright ruby-red tomatoes struggling 

for their last hurrah before the first hard freeze.

I remember. ...

I remember these things that have come to pass;

I remember fondly, these heart-warming experiences;

I remember....

~~~~~

This poem was actually published in the Winter / Spring "The GNU" 2012. This was the Literary Journal for National University in Los Angeles, California. 

I must apologize for the fact that the stanzas are a bit messed up because I typed this on my Samsung cellphone.  I hope you enjoy my memories of my favorite childhood place.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Tell us about someone or something you miss from your childhood.

Message 12 of 55

It's the 4th and 5th grade spent in a 4 room farm community school house: It's the bus ride and being the 1st on the bus and the last one off; It's the piece of land that we dubbed "The Ten Acres" ~ the land my folks purchased before WWII in Central Illinois for  $500! Here's a poem I wrote titled "Ten Acres of Memories" about this childhood memory.

I remember....

I remember 10 Acres of

sugar maples, crimson red-orange in the autumn sun,

sturdy oak trees climbing into the cobalt blue sky,

elm trees crowning their glory in a pot of gold.

All fill the forest floor with their splendor.

I remember 10 Acres of

blackberry vines full of thorns which grab at you

as you stretch for their succulent fruit to be made into,

jams, jellies, and preserves 

soon to grace the morning table.

I remember 10 Acres of

seemingly never-ending expanse extending

2000 feet in all directions from center.

I remember....

Dashing to meet the 7 AM bus

as its horn bellows in the distance,

the dusty grey road on the other side if the fence.

I remember 10 Acres of

harvest gardens

with six foot corn stalks rattling in the harsh autumn wind.

Burnt orange pumpkins growing huge

readying themselves for the Thanksgiving feast.

Bright ruby-red tomatoes struggling 

for their last hurrah before the first hard freeze.

I remember. ...

I remember these things that have come to pass;

I remember fondly, these heart-warming experiences;

I remember....

~~~~~

This poem was actually published in the Winter / Spring "The GNU" 2012. This was the Literary Journal for National University in Los Angeles, California. 

I must apologize for the fact that the stanzas are a bit messed up because I typed this on my Samsung cellphone.  I hope you enjoy my memories of my favorite childhood place.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 55

I miss sitting on the double glider with my girlfriend, Joanne. We played that we were Doris Day and Elizabeth Montgomery, actresses from the sitcoms of the era.  Joanne died of leukemia at 12 years old.  Much of our play time was sedentary because she couldn't run around.  I treasure her friendship to this day and named my son Joe.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 55

I miss the closeness of our family.  I had a wonderful childhood and terrific parents.  Miss them both every day.  Fortunately I have thousands of pictures and memories!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 55

@PattyDiane wrote:

>> 

I knew nothing about being "gay" in those days.  I wondered why he never brought his "house boy" with him for a visit.  I had no idea how dangerous it could have been for it to be known about their relationship, or how dangerous it could have been even with their different races.  Now that I'm aware of these factors I'm even more impressed by a relationship that lasted almost 50 years.  I so regret that he passed away when I was in my early 20's and I never had the chance to go for the visit that he promised me when I was older.  If there was someone I could visit with from my past, it would be my Uncle Arthur and his "house boy".

Great post!  Thank you for sharing!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 55

My response is a bit more personal,may seem strange to some,but hear me out.

The one thing I miss from my childhood was bonding with my older sister,younger brother when I was between ages 10-16.I was sent to 2 boarding schools one in Deerfield MA,other in Toronto in the mid 60's,early 70's since school work was very diffcult for me.I stayed at both schools for 2yrs,then lived with my aunt&uncle in Baltimore for another 2 yrs{which I hated the most}. I would see my siblings at holidays and during summer vacations,they were like strangers to me. I resented the fact they got to stay home,it took me years to forgive my parents.

My relationships with my siblings now,I talk with my brother every Sun,try and see him&his family at Thanksgiving. My sister and I will never be close. Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 55

i could list so many things here like the Miss Georgia Ice Cream store that was only 4 doors down from our house and we could walk down after dinner for dessert.  Then there was the movie theater that was across the street.  We could stand on the front porch and see what was playing.  Even if we didn't go to the movie it was such fun to watch the other people standing in line.  We moved from there when I was 7 and it was an entirely different world where we needed a car for everything.

But the person I miss most is the man we called an uncle but was actually my mother's cousin.  I've written about him before but he continues to be on my mind.  He lived in Santa Monica, CA where he was the city attorney.  He came to visit his Atlanta relatives every couple of years and always spent at least one evening for dinner at our house, with his favorite childhood friend/cousin.

My sister and I always pumped him for information about all our favorite movie stars.  He lived across the street from Rosemary Clooney and Jose Ferrer and they often played Bridge together.  But I was even more interested in his "house boy", a Native American (we called him an Indian in those days) who was also an artist.  The two of them had met when my "uncle" was in law school in New York and the other man (I don't know that I ever even knew his name) was in art school.  They headed west together.

I knew nothing about being "gay" in those days.  I wondered why he never brought his "house boy" with him for a visit.  I had no idea how dangerous it could have been for it to be known about their relationship, or how dangerous it could have been even with their different races.  Now that I'm aware of these factors I'm even more impressed by a relationship that lasted almost 50 years.  I so regret that he passed away when I was in my early 20's and I never had the chance to go for the visit that he promised me when I was older.  If there was someone I could visit with from my past, it would be my Uncle Arthur and his "house boy".

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 55

WATER!! I miss the water.

We grew up on The Bay!! Galveston Bay in LaPorte, Texas. We swam, fished, crabbed, and spent a lot of time in our boats. Bikes, horse, dogs, camping, playing drums, basketball, running around with neighbors and friends. Then we got a place in the Trinity River and continued our fun with the water.

What could be better? We had a blast.  I miss that and my Bub.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

the good times

Message 19 of 55

when I was a teenager, my saturdays were really full of fun, We had a place up the street from a public private owned swimming pool called Rodies Soda Shop. Here you could get the best, and I mean the best .10cent hotdogs in the world. This was after a full day of swimming and having fun at a place called LUNA LAKE. Life was so much simpler then, really miss those days

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 55

"....Drive-In Movies...".
Yeah. We watched them as kids growing up. Got older, didn't watch so much of the movie....

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors