Medicare open enrollment begins Tuesday! Visit the AARP Medicare Resource Center for the information you need to make your best choices.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Tattoos Yes/no? Do you have one?

Message 41 of 68

I do -- in fact I have 4 of them. I also had my motorcycle license long before women on their own bikes was a common sight, and I was an aircraft mechanic in the USAF long before women on the flightline was considered mainstream. I'm not worried about what they'll look like when I'm 80, because I'm not the type to be concerned about others judging me based on my appearance. Each one means something to me and I have one planned to honor my deceased dad, another to honor all the animals with whom I've shared my heart and home, and wouldn't surprise me if there were more than those two in my future. With all the ugliness in the world right now, I don't see how something that makes the wearer think of someone or something that makes her/him happy can be a bad thing, and I don't feel that I, or anyone else for that matter, has the right to pass judgement on another's morals or mental health or capacity based on something like that. That would be like me calling someone an idiot because they have a lawn gnome or of questionable morals because of that pink flamingo in their garden. There's nothing in the world that would ever give me the right to make such an arbitrary and unkind judgement.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Tattoos Yes/no? Do you have one?NO

Message 42 of 68
Mentally imbalanced? Wow! Your comment speaks volumes..... quite IGNORANT
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 68

Wow! A lot of opinions.  I am brave to say that I do have tattoos.  The main being a full chest tattoo.  I underwent a bilateral mastectomey due to Breast Cancer and after 4 recurrences was left with a completely disfigured chest which I hid.  Thrown into severe depression  I decided to do something to try and feel better about myself.  I have a beautiful piece of Art now and I wear a true smile in my heart and on my face.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 68

I only have one "tattoo". It's on the palm of my right hand where I was stabbed with a #2 pencil in the fourth grade. I find them unattractive and wonder why people get them.  I have seen pictures of doctors with entire sleeves and if my doctor had one I would find someone else to go to. I once talked to a person much younger than I who desperately wanted a whole sleeve.  I said that he should have the Titanic put on his chest and over time he could watch it sink. I believe women think that a tattoo will attract a crowd. I am not impressed by anyone with tattoos.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 68

I don't or ever would have a tattoo. They look gross and nasty!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 68

Don't have one.  I think tattoos are right up there with other self-destructive acts.  I think it shows nearsightedness, lack of personal discipline and a cavalier attitude.  It simply limits one's opportunities to pursue options that might otherwise be available. Tattoos among professional people and people in trusted positions are rarely seen.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 68

I don't have any, but my older brother starting getting them when he was in high school in the 1960s and added more when he was in the Navy. It took a few decades, but he finally became fashionable. Too bad they've faded and been obscured by wrinkles and fat.

I don't have any and have no desire. As a friend explained, tatoos mean you have to wear the same thing every day.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 68

Curiously, there seems to be very little interest in this topic - one way or the other, as most responses or maybe they were reactions are a decade old. So why does AARP think a discussion is worthly, necessary or even pertinent? This seems to be an attempt to merely exploit another difference in perception and personal choice. Whether a person has 'ink' is their business. Yet many 'perceptions' and business practices tend to ostracize those that get or dislpay 'ink', that is a shameful display of sterotyping and prejudice.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 68

I  don't have any and never will. I'm not judging other people's choices, but I do wish people getting them would do some research on the specific inks being used BEFORE they get a tattoo. I strongly recommend listening to the podcast "Think Before You Ink" on the Leonard Lopate Show. His guest, Monona Rossol, is a chemist, artist, industrial hygienist and the health & safety officer for the NYC Local 829 scenic union. Because of my work, I've had hours of toxicology training with her, and she is a goldmine of information.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 68

Nope. Don't care for them. Makes you look cheap. Looks like Grafitti most of the time... Ink fades.

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera